The Fedora Foundation
On August 2005, Red Hat provided an update about the Fedora Foundation at Linux'World in San Francisco. Here are several of the Foundation goals that were enumerated:
The Fedora Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Its goal is to serve the Fedora community in the following ways:
- By providing a non-profit entity to organize and manage volunteers.
- By ensuring that the work of these volunteers remains forever free.
- By providing a fundraising arm for the development and protection of Fedora and related open source projects.
- By providing an entity for copyright assignment, so that what is free is also defensible in a court of law.
- By funding patent filings for inventors in the open source community, so that dedicated individuals can help to build a protective patent shield around open source code.
The initial board of directors of the Fedora Foundation continues to develop its governance model in partnership with a community advisory board. More announcements are coming in the months ahead as key milestones are reached. For now, if you would like to contact the board, please e-mail directors at fedorafoundation.org
- Fedora Announce List April 4, 2006 - Fedora Foundation
- Red Hat Magazine Issue #12 October 2005 - Fedora Foundation Update
- Red Hat Press Release August 10, 2005 - Establishment of Fedora Foundation Off to a Good Start
- Red Hat Magazine Issue #10 August 2005 - Building the Fedora Foundation: Goals established
- Red Hat Magazine Issue #8 June 2005 - Coming soon: Fedora Foundation
- Fedora Announce List June 2005 - Fedora Foundation