(→How FreeMedia Works)
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
== How FreeMedia Works ==
== How FreeMedia Works ==
At the begining of each month a [[#form| Form to Request Media]] is opened. This form captures requests from all people. This form does not include those countries that are listed as embargoed in the [[Legal/Export| Export Matrix List]]. After the form has been closed, the volunteers pick the closest request so the shipping
At the begining of each month a [[#form| Form to Request Media]] is opened. This form captures requests from all people. This form does not include those countries that are listed as embargoed in the [[Legal/Export| Export Matrix List]]. After the form has been closed, the volunteers pick the closest request so the shipping are low.
=== Time line ===
=== Time line ===
Revision as of 12:48, 17 April 2010
|The Fedora Free Media Program is a volunteer initiative by local Fedora Ambassadors and contributors to distribute Fedora Media (DVDs) for free to individuals who can't afford to buy or download Fedora. There is no funding from Fedora for this initiative. The media comes from volunteers from around the globe that coordinate their efforts using Fedora Infrastructure. The number of discs is limited to the resources of those volunteers. We are constantly looking for more Fedora Ambassadors or contributors to participate. If you have any question about the FreeMedia program, consult Susmit, Neville or Frank.|
The following sections describe how the FreeMedia program works in detail.
How FreeMedia Works
At the begining of each month a Form to Request Media is opened. This form captures requests from all people. This form does not include those countries that are listed as embargoed in the Export Matrix List. After the form has been closed, the volunteers pick the closest request so the shipping costs are kept low.
- When one user request a Media a ticket is opened. The user gets a email confirming that the tickets is open.
- Tickets may be closed due lack of description. The user will get a email stating that the ticket has been closed
- As we depend on Voluntary resources, we can not assure that every ticket will be fulfilled.
- When a FreeMedia Team Member accept to take care of a request the ticket is commented and the user gets a email.
- The Member can take some days to burn the media and take to the post office, sometimes up to ten days.
- When a FreeMedia Team Member send the media closes the ticket and the user gets a email saying Media is its way.
- Depending on where in the world the FreeMedia Team Member resides the mail can take longer.
- One media per person per release + source media if requested.
- Any duplicate requests will be canceled.
- If you're a Fedora Ambassador or Fedora Contributor, you will not receive any DVD via this program. Freemedia does not provide disks for events.
- Please note this is a volunteer initiative by local Fedora Ambassadors or Contributors.
- Please note we can't ship media to U.S. embargoed or restricted destinations. See Fedora Export Control Product Matrix
- Per Fedora Project Board's recommendation , physical media with source code is available upon request.
- Media is home made produced by volunteers, we don't ship media with commercial grade labels or printing.
Before you fill in the form, please remember that this program runs with limited resources. We ask that you use the form only if you cannot download media, attend an event, or get media elsewhere such as from an Ambassador (map), online vendor or local vendor. By limiting form usage to people who are truly in need, we can make sure that our efforts are properly prioritized. As this is a voluntary effort we provide home made media, do not expect elaborated labels and printing. Thank you!
Here is the FreeMedia form. If you receive a CLOSED message, it means that we have filled all the requests we can handle this month, and you can try again next month.
Freemedia is a wonderful idea, coordinates small contributions form people around the world to deliver media for those that otherwise would not be able to enjoy Fedora. All this is made using Fedora Infraestructure. If you like this concept and like Fedora, you can easily become a member. We ask for two disk monthly plus shipping, please consider Join the Fremedia team.
We appreciate all of the support and interest we have received so far, and we hope that more volunteers will step forward to help us increase our capacity and accept a larger number of requests.
You can help us making a Donation to the program.
- For historical records, visit Fedora Free Media Program Archive page.