GSOC 2013/Student Application Axilleas
- Your name: Axilleas Pipinellis
- FAS Account: axilleas
- Fedora userpage: User:Axilleas
- Email Address: axilleas AT archlinux DOT gr
- Blog URL: http://axilleas.github.io
- Freenode IRC Nick: axil42
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I really admire the community that is behind the Fedora Project and the vast, different options that a person can choose to contribute to. New people are motivated to join the community by the eagerness of present developers/packagers/contributors etc, and that is a huge plus.
Having been involved only with Archlinux and Debian distributions so far, I find this a great chance to learn about a new distro's habits and internal tools, from yum to rpm packaging and other interesting things I have yet to find out. Getting involved in such a large FOSS project like Fedora and as per the Academia Perspective, packaging for EPEL will give me the opportunity to pick up new skills and have real world experience by being mentored by pro developers.
Last but not least, I expect this will be lots of fun and I will have the chance to get to know new people from around the world.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora Project or with any another open source project as a contributor (if possible please add some references as well)?
This is the very first time I get involved with the Fedora Project, but I have contributed to other open source projects.
- I have been an Archlinux AUR package maintainer for 3+ years.
- I contribute to GitLab.
- I help with the localization of different apps and documentation: transifex, mozilla.
- Recently I participated with some friends of mine from Hackerspace.gr to the NASA's spaceappchallenge and created this app.
- You can check my blog for a larger list of open source projects I am involved in.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
- No, this is the first time.
Will you continue contributing/supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2013 program, if yes, which team(s)/area(s), you are interested in?
Of course I will and I am interested in being a Package Maintainer and provide any help to the Infrastructure team.
Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
- I am very eager to learn new technologies and working on such a big organization like Fedora will give me that chance. I am willing to contribute to the Fedora Project even after the end of the program.
- I've been using linux since 2005 and I am quite familiar with open source technologies and collaboration tools.
- I have contacted the mentor(s) and expressed my interest right when GSoC 2013 was announced and got valuable feedback.
- I have been using GitLab (the idea proposal I will apply for) long before GSoC was announced and I have gained a familiarity with its internals. Moreover, I recently started contributing upstream. Because of these contributions I was able to conatct the lead developer of the project and he was kind enough to write me a recommendation letter.
- I like to blog about geeky stuff and this involvement will give me that chance.