Contrary to what many people may think, there is a growing number of Free and open source games available for Linux. From first-person shooters to RPGs to card games to puzzles and roguelikes, there is plenty to do if you don't feel like working.
A sampling of the current games available from Fedora are listed here. All games are open source, and are free to download and play! Entries marked with are 3D games that may require a 3D accelerated graphics card.
- 2008-02-08 Red Hat Magazine: 113 Fedora games
- 2008-01-07 Free Games
- 2007-06-11 Red Hat Magazine: Five great games in Fedora
- Wormux - 2D Convivial Mass Murder Game!
Action: First Person Shooters
- freedoom - A new set of episodes for DOOM2.
- bzflag - Tank versus tank in a battle of mayhem and strategy
- openarena - Open source first person shooter based on Quake III Arena
- tremulous - First Person Shooter game based on the Quake 3 engine (*)
- freedink - 2D adventure/rpg where you save the world and harm animals; it's also an engine/editor for around 100 fan-made additional adventures
Arcade and Classic Games
- bsd-games - A collection of 42 classic text based games including 'adventure' and 'wump'
- freedroid - Clone of the C64 game Paradroid
- lacewing - Another multiplayer space shooter
- overgod - Another multiplayer space shooter
- scorched3d - 3D accelerated version of Scorched Earth
- xpilot-ng - A multiplayer space shooter
- xscorch - Tanks fighting other tanks
- tecnoballz - A Brick Busting game
- poker2d - 2-D poker client for poker-network servers
- poker3d - OpenGL poker client to play on a poker-network server
- Abe's Amazing Adventure - A side-scrolling arcade game akin to the old C64 games
- supertux - A classic 2D jump'n run sidescroller game
- pengupop - Networked Game in the vein of Move/Puzzle Bobble!
- tong - An odd mixture of multiple arcade games
- neverball - Table tilt game, Roll a ball through an obstacle course with your mouse!
- pipepanic - Connect as many different shaped pipes together as possible within the time given
- haxima - An old-school RPG game built on the Nazghul game engine
- nethack - Hunt for the Amulet of Yendor
- nethack-vultures - Enhanced version of NetHack and Slash'EM
- rogue - The original terminal-based role playing game
- ularn - Another roguelike rpg
RPG: Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG)
- crossfire - 2D Multiplayer RPG, similar to the 'Gauntlet' arcade game
- ember - 3D client for WorldForge
- The Mana World - A free open source 2D MMORPG in development!
- powermanga - An Arcade Shoot'Em'Up Game!
- raidem - A fast-paced 2d top-down shoot'em up
- lincity-ng - City Simulation Game
- vegastrike - An OpenGL 3d space trade/combat simulation in the spirit of Elite. Website
- Battle for Wesnoth - Turn-based Tactics and Strategy Game with a Fantasy Theme!
- freeciv - World conquest
- freecol - Colonization-like strategy game
- glest - 3D real time strategy game (website , screenshot )
- gnugo - Text-based Go program
- grhino - Reversi game for GNOME
- quarry - Multi-purpose board game GUI
- qascade - Classic puzzle game
- netpanzer - An Online Multiplayer Tactical Warfare Game222
- uqm - The Ur-Quan Masters, a port of the classic game Star Control II
Utilities and Engines
- nazghul - An old-school RPG engine
- prboom - Doom/Doom2/Heretic game engine
- deutex - Doom wad file manipulator
- yadex - Doom level editor
Special Interest Group: Games
Take a look at the Fedora SIG for Games if you are interested in packaging, debugging, testing, or suggesting games. Any help will be appreciated.