This page describes the processes for Marketing team members to do the following tasks in Insight:
- Promote specific blog posts to the feed on Insight
- Publish Marketing stories to the feed on Insight
If you're interested in learning more about Insight, including what the next steps are, who is involved, and how to get involved, read the Insight wiki page for details.
Access and Logging in
Anyone can view the Insight page by going to http://insight.fedoraproject.org. Having access to create content and/or post content to Fedora Insight requires permission.
Authentication is done via FAS (Fedora Account System). In addition to having a Fedora account, you need to be a member of one of the following FAS groups:
You may apply to these groups for access using the Fedora Accounts System application. However, someone will need to approve your access. Because of the nature of the site, only trusted contributors will be approved. If you are interested in becoming part of the group that maintains Fedora Insight, joining the Marketing team is recommended. Follow the Marketing team Join process, including sending an email to the Marketing list, and include the information that you are interested in helping to maintain insight. If you are already a member of the Marketing team, sending a mail to the Marketing list about your interest will work as well.
To log in:
- Go to http://insight.fedoraproject.org
- Click the "log in" link just below the words "Fedora Insight"
- Log in using the same credentials (ie: login/password) that you normally use for Fedora infrastructure
Once logged in, your "view" of the front page of insight should change slightly. In the lower right hand corner, there should be a list of actions to click on, underneath your login ID. These include Import, Moderation Queue, My Account, Create Content, Administer, and Log Out.
The Moderation Queue and Create Content actions are the primary focus of this SOP.
Promoting planet posts via Moderation Queue
Blog posts that one sees on http://planet.fedoraproject.org can be accessed via RSS feed for use on Fedora Insight. These posts can be made to appear in the Fedora Planet Highlights section of Fedora Insight.
You must be a member of cmsadmin or cmseditors in the Fedora Account System to promote posts.
Purpose and Guidelines
The purpose of this section is to promote Fedora-centric blog posts which may be news- or press-worthy. There are (currently) no hard and fast guidelines about what content should or should not be promoted; however, we should keep this section as fresh and up-to-date as we can.
After logging into Insight, click the Moderation Queue link, found under your username in the lower right-hand corner of Fedora Insight. A list of recent blog posts should appear with checkboxes next to them.
- Select the blog post(s) that follow the guidelines that you wish to have promoted on Insight. Selections can be completed one-by-one, or in bulk.
- After making your selection, use the drop-down box above the list of posts that is labelled "Choose an operation." Choose "Publish Post" to add the selected posts to the Planet Highlights list.
- Click execute the selected action to the blog posts you have chosen.
What these actions do
- Publish post will add a blog post to the Fedora Planet Highlights section of Insight. Unpublish post will remove the post from the section, but does not delete it.
- Promote post to Front page will promote a blog post in the Main Story section of Insight (ie: Front page, with a bit of text following). Use this for very newsworthy, important blog posts. Remove post from Front Page will remove the story from the same section. Older stories will scroll off the page as newer ones are promoted to front page, so don't feel the need to remove old stories to make room for others.
- Make Post Sticky will place the blog post at the top of the Fedora Planet Highlights section until changed (via Make Post Unsticky.)
Creating and Publishing Content
Original content can be made for use on Fedora Insight. The content appearing in this section will normally be items such as announcements, press releases, and informal blog-like entries. Feature Profiles, Release Announcements, Important Event information (Such as FUDCon), Election announcements, etc. are appropriate topics, among others.
At this time, a Story is the only type of content that Marketing should be creating. Weekly News Beats are maintained by the awesome FWN team.
You must be a member of cmswriters, cmsadmin, or cmseditors in the Fedora Account System to create stories; to publish stories, however, you need to have cmsadmin or cmseditors privileges.
- After logging into Insight, click the Create Content link, found under your username in the lower right-hand corner of Fedora Insight.
- Click Story to create a story.
- Stories can be entered directly into the screen, if you wish to create content only for use within Insight.
- If you are copying wiki-formatted text from another location, such as the Fedora Wiki, click on the Input format arrow below the box where the story is typed. Select the Fedora wiki text button. HTML input is the default option.
- Other options settings include:
- Commenting (comments are read/write by default)
- Creating new revisions
- You may then Preview or Save your Post.
- If you are a member of cmsadmin or cmseditors, you may click the publishing options arrow to see the options to publish your post immediately, without utilizing the Moderation Queue.
- Stories must then be published via the Moderation Queue.
You must be a member of the cmsadmin or cmseditors group to publish stories.
After logging into Insight, click the Moderation Queue link, found under your username in the lower right-hand corner of Fedora Insight.
Stories will likely be less frequent than planet posts that appear in the list of items that can be moderated. If you're looking for a story, using the search functionality at the top of the Moderation Queue page and selecting the Type dropdown to show Story can make your life easier.
- Select the story post(s) that follow the guidelines that you wish to have promoted on Insight. Selections can be completed one-by-one, or in bulk.
- After making your selection, use the drop-down box above the list of posts that is labelled "Choose an operation." The following selections can be made (among others, but these are the important ones):
- Publish Post
- Promote Post to Front Page
- Remove Post from Front Page
- Unpublish Post
- Make Post Sticky
- Make Post Unsticky
What these actions do
- Publish post will add a story post to main section of the front page of Insight. Unpublish post will remove the post.
- Make Post Sticky will place the story post at the top of the main section until changed (via Make Post Unsticky.)