Fedora 12 x86 Support
With Fedora 11, we moved the base architecture to i586. With Fedora 12, we are changing the base architecture to i686, and optimizing for current 32-bit processors.
- Nome: Bill Nottingham
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rilascio: Fedora 12
- Per informazioni aggiornate sullo stato di F12X86Support consultare la pagina originale.
Fedora 11 has i586 as the base 32-bit x86 architecture.
For Fedora 12, we will switch to i686 as the base architecture (including CMOV), and optimize for Atom processors.
This means we will lose support for the following CPU families:
- Intel i586 (all)
- National Semiconductor Geode processors
- VIA C3 (Ezra and Samuel Cores)
- AMD Geode GX
AMD Geode LX (as used in the OLPC XO laptop) and later Geode NX processors should still work. Those interested are, of course, welcome to set up a secondary arch for older processors.
Benefit to Fedora
- Faster binaries on mainstream architectures (Pentium M, Via C7, all 64-bit arches, Atom)
- Realistically, we don't support i586 as a practical matter. Enforce that more logically.
- Fewer kernel builds
There should not be any required.
A restating of the 'detailed description' above should be sufficient.
- Test Plan
- Esperienza Utente
- Progetto corrente
- Commenti e Discussioni