Let's have a Fedora Birds of a Feather presence at the Large Installation System Administrators conference to market share and brand awareness.
When: Tuesday November 9, 2010 at 9 P.M. Where: San Jose Marriott, by the convention center 301 South Market Street San Jose, California 95113 in the Willow Glen room, second floor.
The Large Installation System Administrators (LISA) conference is the largest and the longest running system administrators conference run by the USENIX association. In order to increase attendee dialogue, Birds-of-a-Feather meetings are encouraged. Fedora has had successful BoF at this conference for at least 3 years but this is the first time we are increasing the level of organisation.
There are 1000 people registered for LISA 2010.
- Attendees are 80% system administrators, 15% vendors who make system administrators, 3% staff, 2% personal guests of attendees.
- About 40% are local to Northern California
- Products used are typically *nix-centric.
- Free Software is preferred.
- Most conference attendees are present Wednesday morning - Friday morning.
Tuesday November 9, 2010 at 9 P.M. to 11 P.M. - we are holding this time slot as of Sunday late afternoon.
The below points is historical documentation on how we arrived on this schedule decision.
Facts on scheduling
- BoF space is available Sunday - Thursday nights 7pm - 11pm at LISA.
- Most time slots are taken: Still available Tuesday at 9pm, Wednesday at 10pm or Thursday at 8:30pm.
- Thursday tends to be a "vendor bof" night. Free swag and munchies are highly expected.
- For optimal attendance, the BoF should be held either Wednesday or Thursday night.
- Not all rooms have a/v support.
Who can attend and when
- User:bethlynn can attend any evening
- User:bcotton can attend any evening except Tuesday at 7pm
- David Nalley can attend Tuesday-Friday
- User:quaid can only attend Tuesday
- Larry Cafiero can attend Tuesday or Wed
Larry has balloons, t-shirts, and pens.
It is too soon after F14 release to obtain professional pressed media. Instead we will procure a usb sticks for on the site installation.
Beth Lynn will buy usb sicks on Monday night.
The event box contains a banner and some XO's.
While that would be visually interesting, it is not necessary. It is not worth the shipping to send it at this point.
Beth Lynn is bringing a ton of candy. The room is stocked with a water cooler.
TBD - minute by minute activity and owner needs to be assigned
- How to become a Fedora contributor
- F14 talking points https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_talking_points
- SELinux (David Nalley's talk)
- on site F14 installfest
Who will be responsible for making the room welcoming?
- Recruit contributors
- Lug referrals for new to Linux users
- Did we meet people who are doing awesome things with Fedora? Great stuff for marketing...
- Write a blog post and link it on the events chart.
For Immediate release:
The Fedora Project will host Fedora 14 Release Party in Silicon Valley California.
WHEN: Tuesday November 9, 2010 at 9 P.M. WHERE: San Jose Marriott, Convention Center second floor Willow Glen room. ADDRESS: 301 South Market Street San Jose, California 95113
During the release party you will have the opportunity to...
- Install Fedora 14, the freshest free software GNU/Linux distribution
- Hear about new Fedora features such as Spice virtualization and systemd.
- Learn about SELinux, a label-based security system.
- Meet some people who contribute to Fedora and discuss how you can contribute.
Fun Fedora freebies will be on hand.
System Administrators, GNU/Linux Users, Free Software Enthusiasts, and Computing Hobbyists: all are welcome. This event is FREE and open to the general public as part of the Large Installation System Administrators conference .
Hope to see you there! <poster's name here>
 Registration for the conference is encouraged but not required. Free registration available under the "Exhibits Only" pass. See the registration desk at the Convention Center for details. http://www.usenix.org/event/lisa10/
No conference registration is required for BoF participants or guests. Therefore, we can inform Bay-Area LUGs that this is happening.
There a bunches of California LUGS.
The lead contact from the 10 closest lugs were emailed...
0. Bay Area
2. Cabrillo College
3. Central Valley
4. North Bay
5. San Francisco Linux User's Group
6. Santa Cruz Microsoft Alternative User Group
7. Silicon Valley
8. Stanford University
9. U.S.S. Augusta Ada