Linux fonts on the web: CSS and font surveys
As noted on webspaceworks, web designers massively use « web safe » fonts which are not so safe under Linux (since they are proprietary and not included in free/libre distributions like Fedora).
To help fix this situation:
- please ask your web designers friends to always use the W3C generic font families in their designs.
- if they absolutely want to also reference real fonts, convince them to use free/libre-open fonts Fedora can ship, such as DejaVu, and not proprietary ones.
- take the time to report the fonts installed on your system in font surveys. Make more web designers aware of the Linux font space.
The following web sites conduct public font surveys:
- Taat: just works
- Codestyle: run the applet. Seems to detect TrueType fonts only
- Visibone: accurate but a pig to run.
- aPaddedCell: post the result of fc-list|sort in the referenced webform.