Mailman Infrastructure SOP
Provides mailing list services for Fedora Hosted projects (hosted1) or the Fedora Project (collab1).
Owner: Fedora Infrastructure Team
Contact: #fedora-admin, sysadmin-main, sysadmin-tools, sysadmin-hosted group
Servers: hosted1, collab1
Purpose: Provides mailing list services.
Mailing list services for Fedora Hosted projects are located on the hosted1.fedoraproject.org server. Fedora Project mailing lists are on collab1.
Creating a new mailing list
1. Log into hosted1 or collab1 1. sudo /usr/local/bin/fedora-mailing-list-setup
[you@hosted1 ~] $ sudo /usr/local/bin/fedora-mailing-list-setup Password: Project name: project List name: project-devel Admin username: username # This is the admin user for the list. FAS Username: yourfasusername # This is the admin adding the lists username FAS Password: # This is the fas password for the admin user adding the list. [you@hosted1 ~] $
Note that list names should make sense, and not contain the words 'fedora' or 'list' - the fact that it has to do with Fedora and that it's a list are both obvious from the domain of the email address.
Troubleshooting and Resolution
The mailman site password for hosted1 or collab1 can be found it /root/mm_sitepass
sudo cat /root/mm_sitepass
The site password can be used to reset lists admin passwords if required. Note: If you change the site password, please update this file.
ML password reset
When a user has requested their mailman password be reset go to the mailing list admin interface at:
Use the site-admin password (see above) to log in, set the password to something. Then email the list admin the new password as well as asking them to change it.
If the server needs to be restarted mailman should come back on it's own. Otherwise each service on it can be restarted:
sudo service mailman restart sudo service postfix restart
How to delete a mailing list
Delete a list, but keep the archives
sudo /usr/lib/mailman/bin/rmlist <listname>
Delete a list and its archives
sudo /usr/lib/mailman/bin/rmlist -a <listname>
This is a place where instructions for migrating lists from redhat.com to lists.fp.o will be kept.
Things required from Red Hat:
* The list config (whatever the equivalent of /var/lib/mailman/lists/<listname> is) * The list archives, in mbox form (/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/<listname>.mbox)
Put these items into their respective places on collab1.
If required at this point, change the list name as follows:
* Rename the archive directories to the new names * Create a file called <newlist-name>.config and put the following in it:
real_name = '<new list name>'
* Don't do anything with that file until the next step :)
For all lists, do the following:
* In the <newlist-name>.config file created earlier, add the following line (create the file if you didn't need to rename the list):
acceptable_aliases = [ 'firstname.lastname@example.org' ].
* Verify the sanity of your new configuration via '/usr/lib/mailman/bin/config_list -i <new-list-name>.config -c <new-list-name> * If that checks out, eliminate the -c from the previous command in order to make your changes. * Rebuild the archives using '/usr/lib/mailman/bin/arch --wipe <new-list-name>'