Meeting:Board meeting 2008-03-18
Fedora Project Board Meeting :: Tuesday 2008-03-18
Attendees: Matt Domsch, Karsten Wade, Paul Frields, Steve Dickson, John Poelstra, Seth Vidal, Bill Nottingham, Chris Aillon, Dennis Gilmore
Regrets: Jef Spaleta, Bob McWirther
Followup to Previous Business
Secondary Arch Hosting (2008-02-19)
- Can Fedora host binaries for secondary architectures?
- Change from original proposal
- makes it easier to get new mirrors and use mirror manager
- DECISION: board approves of Fedora hosting binaries for secondary architectures
- FOLLOWUP 2008-02-26
- Infrastructure group raising issue with lack of space
- Are distribution methods a concern for growing secondary architectures?
- OWNERS: Seth and Matt; Spot also assisting
- ACTIONS: reach out to existing relationships and pursue storage opportunities
- FOLLOWUP 2008-03-04
- Seth to do more followup with BU--potentially 150G
- Spot reports 450G from HP
- RESOLVED on 2008-03-18
- The board supports using resources for this purpose and leaves discretion for space usage to the Fedora Infrastructure group
- The board also supports an infrastructure decision of 'sorry, can't do that now - not enough space' if that is the case too
- Board members will continue to pursue additional opportunities for storage space with different vendors
Post-release updates of custom spins (2008-01-29)
- Should the board have to approve them?
- We will hosts as many spins as we have space for
- Need to determine the hosting requirements and limits
- How long will spins stay around?
- ACTION: Jef to review Rahul's proposal and report back to board
- OWNER: Jef Spaleta
- FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18
- Jef was unable to attend today--deferred to next meeting.
- Still not comfortable that we are pointing people to content that is not "Free and Open Source software"
- Cannot suitably fix codeina in the Fedora 9 time frame
1. Review email thread: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-November/msg00050.html 1. Move discussion to fedora-advisory-board list to formulate a solution there 1. Propose patching out other for sale non-free plugins 1. Bill Nottingham to make sure that live spin includes codeina correctly
- FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-11
- Majority board vote in favor of patching out all other for sale non-free plugins leaving the freely available mp3 codec
1. Three members absent 1. One abstention
- Paul to check with codeina maintainer (Bastien Nocera) and Fluendo (Thomas Vander Stichele)
- Paul to send followup to fedora-advisory-board-list
- FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18
- Discussion of past week's events in blogs and fedora-advisory-board list
- Several different philosophical viewpoints on the board
- It appears that the board itself needs to further refine its philosophical beliefs
- This should provide clearer guidance in the future for making decisions like this
- Could we tie-in to marketing plan that marketing SIG is working to give greater focus and backing?
- Impasse seems to center around "Free Software" vs. "Customer Usability"
- Take discussion to fedora-advisory-board
1) What to do w/ codeina package? a) remove the orphaned package from Fedora" -- https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/users/packages/orphan b) include a new package to do what original intention was 2) What should guiding philosophies of the board and Fedora be?
- Does the issue with swfdec-mozilla, on top of the community discontent, show that we are not having enough communication with FESCo?
- We need to find the balance between FESCo issues and Board issues and make sure we're empowering them to decide matters when needed.
- Fedora distributes under section 3a and not section 3b
- Paul Frields to send link to Ambassadors providing guidance on compliance
Future Business (discuss at a future meeting)
- Date: 2008-03-25
- Time: 14:00 EDT