Name suggestions for Fedora 11
This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 11 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Sulphur -> Cambridge -> <blank>? Cambridge is a <blank>, <New name> is a <blank>.
The link between Sulphur and Cambridge was "both are U.S. cities." The link between Cambridge and the new name must be different than that link.
- Name collection: Dec 2, 2008 - Dec 8, 2008
- List to Fedora Board: Dec 9, 2008 - Dec 15, 2008
- Board approved list to Legal: Dec 16, 2008 - Jan 4, 2009
- Community vote on final name: Jan 5, 2009 - Jan 9, 2009
- Name announced: Jan 10, 2009
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Board Approved||Legal Approved|
|Stonehenge||is a famous British landmark||Google search +software, +computer, +Linux, +IT (conflict with an IT service firm: http://www.stonehengeit.com/) (conflict with software company: http://www.eznumerologysoftware.com/) (conflict with well-known Perl consultancy: http://www.stonehenge.com/)|
|YoungHeart||is a soccer club in New Zealand.||Google search +software, +computer, +Linux, +IT|
|Wroclaw||is an education city (Wroclaw university of technology, Wroclaw University etc) like Cambridge||Google search +software, +computer, +Linux, +IT|
|BACON||is a cut of meat taken from the sides, belly, or back of a pig that has been cured, smoked, or both.||Google search +software, +computer, +Linux, +IT Pass|
|Windsor||is a British Dukedom that was created for an abdicated king because Dukedom of Cambrdige was extant at the time||Google search +software, +computer, +Linux, +IT (conflict with an IT service firm: http://www.windsorcorp.com/)|
|Hamline||is a university.||Google search +software, +computer, +Linux, +IT (there is a university with the same name)|
|Glasses||is a creation from 1284||Google search +software, +computer, +Linux, +IT|
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to complete the sentence "Cambridge is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Cambridge to Sulphur. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "river in Kazakhstan," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.