Name suggestions for Fedora 12
This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 12 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Cambridge → Leonidas → <new name>? Leonidas is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Cambridge and Leonidas was "both are ships of the United States Navy." The link between Leonidas and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: May 18 - May 23
- List to Fedora Board: May 24 - May 27
- Board approved list to Legal: May 28 - June 8
- Community vote on final name: June 9 - June 22, 2009
- Name announced: June 27, 2009
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Leonidas is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Cambridge to Leonidas, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "river in Kazakhstan," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|
|Pilgrims||Belgian chocolate producer||No apparent conflicts|
|Mamba||type of APC||No apparent conflicts|
|Aristotle||was a teacher of Alexander The Great||No apparent conflicts|
|Hannibal||was a Carthaginian military commander||No apparent conflicts|
|Chionis||was a famous Ancient Spartan||No apparent conflicts|
|Anaxander||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts|
|Lindius||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts|
|Lelex||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts|
|Myles||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts|
|Eurotas||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts|
|Lakedaimon||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Amyklas||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Argalos||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Kynortas||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Perieres||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Oibalos||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Tyandareos||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Hippokoon||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Tyndareos||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Menelaus||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts|
|Orestes||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts|
|Teisamenos||was a King of Sparta||No apparent conflicts||link out?|
|Perseidas||is a prolific meteor shower, bigger than leonidas; also Perseus was the hero who killed Medusa and claimed Andromeda, having rescued her from a sea monster.||No apparent conflicts||Does not pass "is-a" test. Meteor shower is named 'Leonids'|
|Ahasuerus||was also a King present at the Battle of Thermopylae played by Richard Egan in a film||No apparent conflicts|
|Orionid||is a shooting star of a meteor shower in November, as is Leonidas (I also tried Perseid first, but unfortunately there is a "Perseid Software" company :( ).||No apparent conflicts||Does not pass "is-a" test. Meteor shower is named 'Leonids'|
|Lilofee||is an asteroid, as is Leonidas||No apparent conflicts|
|Quetzalcoatl||is an asteroid, as is Leonidas||There is a compiler by the name of Quetzalcoatl...|
|Zachariah||is the first name of a confederate general, as is Leonidas||No apparent conflicts. There is however a musician|
|Rugosa||is a rose, as is Leonidas. Rugosa is also a coral, a moon in star wars, a wrinkled frog||http://rugosa.com/|
|Yuri||was a president of the USSR||http://www.yurisw.com/ ?|
|Paganini||was a voilinist||http://www.paganinisoftware.ch/ ?|
|Xenophanes||was an Ancient Greek who died in 480BC||No apparent conflicts||Link not very specific.|
|Sultry||is a type of hybrid tea rose||No apparent conflicts|
|Magritte||was a Belgian painter||No apparent conflicts|
|Newen||represents the strength (newen in mapudungun) of leonidas||No apparent conflicts||Does not pass "is-a" test|
|Lasus||was a Greek Poet||No apparent conflicts|
|Mimnermus||was a Greek Poet||No apparent conflicts|
|Coolidge||was a poet||No apparent conflicts|
|Custer||was also a leader of a famous last stand||No apparent conflicts|
|Galler||Belgian chocolate. Gall also defines as "brazen boldness coupled with impudent assurance and insolence", which is fitting.||No apparent conflicts|
|Malcolm||was also a badass leader who fought against a much larger army. (Firefly)||No apparent conflicts|
|Masaryk||there are two is a links with Leonidas on this one - leader and asteroid (Masaryk is asteroid 1841, Leonidas 2782)||No apparent conflicts|
|Manticore||A mythological beast that is part Lion (Leonidas means "Lion-like") and who's name is derived from the Greek term "mantikhoras" which is an erroneous pronunciation of the original Persian name. Lion; Greece; Persia... all connections to Leonidas.||No apparent conflicts||Does not pass "is-a" test|
|Destination||... route after rom over more than one way.||No apparent conflicts||Does not pass "is-a" test. Please rephrase if necessary.|
|Sparta||Leonidas was a battle ship and King Leonidas of Sparta died in a battle||No apparent conflicts||Does not pass "is-a" test|
|Chuck Norris||is a real bad ass that can beat an army almost alone||No apparent conflicts||'real bad ass' is a rather tenuous "is-a" link|
|Darius||was a Great King of Persia, Darius the Great||No apparent conflicts|
|Villars||is a swiss village and also a swiss chocolate make||No apparent conflicts, it's a common name|
|Behrman||... neighborhood of New Orleans, LA, USA||Behrman is a publisher that publishes software books, but there is no software by that name that I can find|
|Dillard||... neighborhood of New Orleans, LA, USA||Dillard's is a department store chain, no software references|
|Touro||... neighborhood of New Orleans, LA, USA||Touro is a college, but no software references|
|Gorbachev||was a President of the Soviet Union, so was Leonid (Russian version of Leonidas) Brezhnev||No apparent conflicts|
|Pelé||is a Brazilian soccer player||He still alive and the name may be trademarked.|
|Sócrates||is a Brazilian soccer player||He still alive, http://www.officeresearch.co.nz/products/workstations/socrates-computer-pods.htm|
|Zico||is a Brazilian soccer player||He still alive, no other apparent conflict|
|Fred||is a Brazilian soccer player||http://www.photonengr.com/software.html (Optical engineering software)|
|Intrepid||was a (British) Royal Navy ship||Conflicts with another distribution :)|
|Warspite||was a Royal Navy ship|
|Lysimachus||was one of Alexander the Great's tutors|
|(Nadia) Boulanger||was famous teacher|
|Pancras||sanctified christian martyr|
|Xerxes||was a commander in the Battle of Thermopylae||Crap. Never mind. http://www.xerxes.be/intro.asp|
|Lion-O||was a leader with a name derived from the majestic panthera leo|
|Elvis||was the King|
|Godiva||is a chocolatier||Nothing obvious|
|Jackson||is the King (of pop) and lets us get to Keating for F13||Nothing obvious|
|Longfellow||is a poet|
|Silverstein||is a poet|
|Vaughan||is a doctoral student of Donald Knuth||Searched Google with linux, software, os. Nothing obvious||Does not obviously pass "is-a" test. Reference?|
|Penance||is a movement of the Delta Halo Suite, as is Leonidas||Nothing obvious|
|Attila||is a film role played by Gerard Butler|
|Dracula||is a film role played by Gerard Butler|
|Hoffa||James Hoffa is a famous (MSU) Spartan|
|Chestnut||Joey Chestnut is a famous (SJSU) Spartan|
|Knuth||Donald Knuth is a famous (CWRU) Spartan|
|Morley||Edward Morley was a famous (CWRU) Spartan|
|Dioxippus||Was an ancient greek wrestler|
|Moctezuma||was a governor -ruler- and a warrior. There was also a war ship named after him||Moctezuma II|
|Côte d'Or||is a well-known Belgian chocolate (even if it's now owned by an american company)||No apparent conflicts|
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Themeable||Board Approved|| Legal
Various connections that could be explored. "Leonidas is a ..."
- Movie character
- Poem title
- Chain of (chocolate) stores
- Royal Navy, and US Navy ships
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Board Approved||Legal Approved|
|blackrock||Just a cool name.||(does not follow link rule)|