Name suggestions for Fedora 19
This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 19 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Beefy Miracle → Spherical Cow → <new name>? Spherical Cow is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Beefy Miracle and Spherical Cow was "A beefy miracle is something that has never been observed and so is a spherical cow." The link between Spherical Cow and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: October 9 through October 16 (23:59:59 UTC)
- List to Fedora Board for review: October 17 - Oct. 24
- Legal Review of Board approved names: October 25 through October 31
- Setup of Voting Application: November 1 (whenever the legal finishes the audit)
- Community vote on final name: November 2 through November 8 (23:59:59 UTC)
- Name announced: November 9
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Spherical Cow is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Beefy Miracle to Spherical Cow, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved !|
|Schrödinger's cat||Is a theoretical thought experiment|
|Maxwell's demon||is a theoretical thought experiment|
|Crop Circle||Is a mysterious round thing found on a farm||quite|
|Welkin||Is an English term referring to the Celesital Sphere||I think so|
|Prime Rib||A Spherical Cow is a well-prepared work of meat & muscle, and so is Prime Rib. (19 is also a prime number.)||None found|
|Elastic Horses||Spherical Cow is a good solution for farmers, and so is elastic horses moving in vacuum.||None found|
|Conical Frustum||A Spherical Cow is a 3D geometric object that is butchered. So is a Conical Frustum.||None found||Also considered saying they're both "sliced."||Fo sho|
|Boiling Frog||Spherical Cow is a an animal in a non-natural situation. So is a boiling frog.||None found||Yes. But... do we want to?|
|Happy Dragon||Spherical Cow is a parade balloon animal. So is Happy Dragon.||Only Chinese restaurants found. :)||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macy's_Thanksgiving_Day_Parade (see 1960)||Sure!|
|Field of Dreams||Spherical Cows are balls on a farm. Field of Dreams is for playing with baseballs on a farm||It's a movie, it has nothing to do with the computer industry||Easily|
|Yin Yang||Spherical Cow is used as metaphor. Yin and Yang are used as metaphor to indicate harmony and interdependence.||Some screensavers, backgrounds, icons|
|Somatotropin||is an (insane) way of maximizing the meat volume.||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin|
|Armstrong||The (Spherical) Cow jumped over the moon, as did Neil Armstrong.||Small regional IT shops in places called Armstrong. Sounds like Ångström, and there's this script.||No longer (sadly) a living person, so it clears that hurdle. Maybe a nice tribute.||You betcha.|
|Taylor||A spherical cow is an approximation, and so is a Taylor series.||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series||Anything math-looking|
|Newton||A spherical cow is an approximation, and so is Newton's method.||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_method||Math-y/physics-y/fruity things|
|Halley||A spherical cow is an approximation, and so is Halley's method.||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halley%27s_method||Math-y things, comets|
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|