Orphaned package that need new maintainers
About Orphan and Retired Packages
When Fedora maintainers do not want or are not able to maintain a package any longer, they can orphan or retire the package. When they think that the package is still useful for Fedora, they should orphan it. Then other maintainers that are interested in maintaining it, can take ownership of this package. In case the package is no longer useful for Fedora, e.g. because it was renamed, upstream does not exist anymore, then it should be retired.
- Announce on devel which package you want to orphan.
- Log into the Package Database and select the package you want to orphan.
- Press the "Release Ownership" button for each active branch that you want to orphan.
Claiming Ownership of an Orphaned Package Procedure
- Check why the package was orphaned by looking for the email to devel and checking dead.package in CVS (url like: http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/orphaned_package_name_here/devel/dead.package ).
- Announce on devel which packages you would like to become the owner of.
- Log into the Package Database and select the package you want to become the owner of.
- Press the "Take Ownership" button for each active branch that you want to maintain.
- Take over and join (or re-assign to you) open bug reports in bugzilla where package owner's attention is needed.
Claiming Ownership of a Retired Package
If you really want to maintain a retired package, you need to be aware that fixing release critical bugs etc becomes your responsibility. This is to ensure the high quality and standards of packaging remain for Fedora package collection. There may be additional issues with retired packages. Consult with the former maintainer for more information. The process is a bit different from unorphaning a package
- See if you can figure out why the package was retired including searching for information about orphaned packages on devel-announce mailing list or emailing the former maintainer
- Announce on devel-announce which packages you would like to become the owner of.
- At the moment, most retired packages fall under the "orphaned for more than three months" rule so they need a rereview.
- Open a cvsadmin request (if applicable, after the rereview, in the rereview ticket) to assign ownership to you.
- When the cvsadmin assigns the package to you it should unretire the package as well. If the package status still says "Deprecated", "Retired", or "Orphaned" instead of "Approved", you could have encountered a bug. Please open a ticket on https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infratructure/ and assign it to "toshio" or contact toshio via irc: abadger1999, or one of the mailing lists (infrastructure list or devel list)
Lists of Orphan and Retired Packages
- Currently orphan packages (also contains some retired packages).
- Retired packages (wiki) (not up to date, may not contain packages that are in the orphan package list, but are actually retired).