- 1 PS3 PlayStation Port of Fedora.
- 1.1 Status
- 1.2 Summary
- 1.3 Usage cases/rationale
- 1.4 Scope
- 1.5 Test Plan
- 1.6 Dependencies
- 1.7 Details
- 1.8 WiFi Support and Configuration
- 1.9 Howto : Enable the PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote
- 1.10 Documentation
- 1.11 Comments
PS3 PlayStation Port of Fedora.
- Last modified: [[Date(2007-04-02T02:40:01Z)]
- Owners: Edward O'Callaghan.
- Targeted release: Fedora 7
Fedora 9 supports the PS3 with minor problems.
Installation works "out-of-the-box".
453311 "pulseaudio does not start"
Older and additional information
The Fedora rawhide kernel supports PS3.
The "PlayStation 3 support tracker" bug is  .
We don't yet have libspu and the spu compiler in Extras.
Instructions on installing a rawhide-based tree can be found at 
- WiFi will now be supported with a firmware update to 1.6 or higher
See below for details...
- PS3 PlayStation port of Fedora. i.e. - PPC with Cell patches and optimization.
PS3 user who browers the web, looks at photos, listens to music and watches DVD's.
Requires the PPC build; Un-needed packages to be removed and any patches required to get ALL hardware supported.
Unknown, maybe three Builds:
- RC or Final.
Depends on the PPC Kernel and Cell patches...
- Kernel patchs are here:
- (See Below) Add driver support for the built in WiFi module and add a small X11 app to bring the adapter up and down in the main menu, will add more to this later on...
- Add support for the BD Bluetooth PS3 remote control and map buttons on startup by default.
- Think of ways to get around the Hypervisor to get access to the GPU ? - Real help is needed here !
N.B. Using the SPU's for a Graphics Accelerator would use up some of the valuable system RAM.
- "A petition has been created to ask Sony to open the access to the RSX for Other OS. Maybe will it contribute to make the firm hear our need, maybe not... but if we don't ask for sure it won't.
You'll find it there: http://www.petitiononline.com/RSX/petition.html
Please if you sign do it with your real name, nick names won't give a serious credit to our ask. Thanks"
... insert design & implementation details here, including links to other features ...
or maybe OpenBox with fbpanel like:
Its very fast and looks nice!
PackageKit should not be part of a ps3 build. It has a poor performance.
Also we should ship some alternative solutions for OpenOffice, Pidgin, Firefox....
WiFi Support and Configuration
Status: Driver should be back ported soon... Status: More to come; http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git;a=commit;h=5ba09ee3f727508064c25d3bbb07e262f79e4380
Run system-config-network as root. Note: eth0 is both the wired and wireless adapter.
It would seem that YDL has a driver for the WiFi in the PS3, I will look into this in more detail over the coming days and if and when it will be back ported into Fedora and or the Linux kernel.
Howto : Enable the PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote
Pairing the Device
Make sure the services
hidd are running. With a clean install of current rawhide,
hidd fails to start. If this is the case, stop
hidd, and finally start
bluetooth again. This problem disappears after the first connect. A bug report about this already exists.
While pressing the 'Start' & 'Enter' keys down, run the following command:
$ su -c "/usr/bin/hidd --search"
After a while this should display something like this:
Searching ... Connecting to device 00:19:C1:2D:91:F2
The remote should be paired now.
Something needs to be done to get it in a usable state, though. Additional developer information is available at PlayStation/BDRemote .
End user documentation should be linked from here...
- The PlayStation/Ps3ReSpin page pulls together information relating to the recreation of a Fedora boot.iso file. This information is vital to the Fedora 8 release. There is a bug that prevents loading Fedora 8 on the PS3 console.
- The PlayStation/LinuxConfiguration shows how to use the PlayStation/Ps3ReSpin CDs to enable Fedora on the PlayStation game console.
Community comments here - FirstnameLastname