This test case tests if the Postfix is running and able to send emails.
- Ensure that
package is installed.
- Ensure that other MTAs like:
are not running.
- Make Postfix the default MTA using:
alternatives --config mta
How to test
- Switch to root user:
- Check if postfix service is running:
systemctl status postfix.service
- Install mail utility:
yum install mailx
- Try to send email to root user:
# mail root@localhost Subject: test test EOT
- Check if root has received the test email:
- Postfix must be running and active at boot, the output of
systemctlshould be like:
# systemctl status postfix.service postfix.service - LSB: start and stop postfix Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix) Active: active (running) since Sat, 02 Jul 2011 13:07:21 +0100; 10s ago Process: 3454 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Main PID: 3531 (master) CGroup: name=systemd:/system/postfix.service ├ 3531 /usr/libexec/postfix/master ├ 3533 pickup -l -t fifo -u └ 3534 qmgr -l -t fifo -u
- root user should receive the test email and the output of
# mail Heirloom Mail version 12.5 7/5/10. Type ? for help. "/var/spool/mail/root": 1 message 1 new >N 1 root Sat Jul 2 12:46 20/766 "test" &