Import an existing VM disk image.
Initial test day setup, a pre-existing VM image.
How to test
- Run virt-manager (should autoconnect to qemu)
- Launch the 'New VM' wizard
- Choose the 'Import' option
- Browse to the existing VM image.
- Make sure to enter a valid OS type, it's important for performance defaults.
- Proceed with through the wizard, using the default suggested values.
- On the final page, use the VM name: test-day-vm
- Finish the install, verify your VM boots as expected. Depending on the OS and content of the image, additional devices may need to be configured in the 'customize before install' step.
An example virt-install invocation looks like
$> virt-install --name test-day-vm --ram 2048 \ --disk path=/path/to/my/existing/vm/disk.img \ --os-variant fedora20 \ --import
Guest installations start and perform without any issues. Guest is bootable after install completes.