Set your guest up with a USB3 controller and passthrough a USB3 device to your guest.
A functioning F18 VM, a host with USB3 ports and a physical USB3 device.
How to test
- Attach the USB3 device to your host. Make sure it is showing up as USB3 (the 5000M bit at the end):
$ lsusb -t ... /: Bus 09.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 5000M __ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M ...
- Make sure the VM is stopped. Edit the VM configuration like:
virsh edit f18
- Remove all devices like <controller type='usb... and add the following:
<controller type='usb' model='nec-xhci'/>
- Save and exit. Start the guest, connect with virt-manager and log in to the guest.
- In the virt-manager hardware view, Add Hardware->USB Host Device, select your USB3 device to attach to the guest.
- Start the guest, log in.
lsusb -tshould show the device as USB3 (like above)
- Verify the device works as expected
No obvious errors occur. USB device is detected as USB3 in the VM, functions correctly, speed increases?