QA:Testcase Virtualization XenDomU Network Performance
This test case checks the network performance; relative transfer rates for Dom0 <=> DomU and Dom0 <=> external vs. DomU <=> external.
How to test
- Start a listener on DomU
$> nc -l 1234 >/dev/nullNote: this port may need to be opened on the firewall. Or just drop the firewall for the test ($> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop)
- On the host start sending some data
$> dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=3000 | nc <ip-of-guest> 1234Capture the MB/s that nc outputs when it completes.
- Reverse the listener and the sender and compare the rates.
- Repeat the process but using an external host. Try with the external host as both a listener and sender for both Dom0 and DomU. Compare the rates of Dom0 send/recv vs. DomU send/recv.
- The transfer rates for DomU will be generally slower than Dom0, even as mush as 30% is expected. Much more than 30% slower may indicate a problem.
- More network performance results can be collected with netpref http://www.netperf.org/