|Line 54:||Line 54:|
Revision as of 19:42, 22 August 2013
Who are we?
Design Sofware is a Special Interest Group aimed to improves latest free and open tools for designers especially Design Team.
Contributing roles in the Design Software SIG
- Create high quality packages of design tools featuring graphics, web, arts and some video editings.
- Document the available tools, including wiki documentation and comps.xml
- Promote the Design Suite
- Actively review each other's design-related packages to shorten the time it takes to get them approved and imported into Fedora Package Collection
- Help each other fix bugs that have been filed against design packages
- Alert each other about orphaned and soon-to-be orphaned design software packages so that we can prevent their removal
Design News websites
Useful links for tracking design related software
Design Software SIG has three channels for communication:
- The mailing list email@example.com,
- The current wiki page for suggesting design software, the need of reviewing packages or joining the SIG,
- the IRC channel located on #firstname.lastname@example.org for designers and #email@example.com for packagers.
Packages already in Fedora repository
- 3D modeling, animation, rendering and post-production
- A creative sketching and painting application
-Utility to manage color profiles and convert from RGB to CMYK
- More color profiles for color management that are less commonly used
- Utility to organize and develop raw images
- Diagram drawing program
- A digital camera accessing & photo management application
- Tethered shooting & control of digital cameras
- *the* editor for font files
- A fonts manager
- Font management application
- Tool for customizing fonts per language
- Image manipulation program
- A plugin for GIMP that provides support for the DDS image format
- Collection of scripts for the GIMP with various effects as; technicolor, round corners, Obama 'Hope', vintage look, sharpening, etc.
- A simple plug-in to do fourier transform on your image
- The GIMP Animation Package
- High-pass filter script for the GIMP
- Gimp wavelet denoise plugin
- Content-aware resizing plug-in for the GIMP
- A simple plug-in to do fourier transform on your image
- Gimp plug-in for texture synthesis
- Rudimentary CMYK support for The GIMP
- GREYC's Magic for Image Computing plugin for gimp
- Advanced Color Picker
- GREYCstoration image denoising and interpolation plugin for gimp
- Panorama photo stitcher
- *the* tool for batch-processing images
- Vector-based drawing program using SVG
- rendering system for physically correct image synthesis.
- Fast and easy graphic application for digital painters
- Nautilus extension for image conversion
- PNG optimizer and converter
- A simple application for modifying PDF documents
- PDF file merging, rearranging, and splitting
- cross-platform Photo Batch Processor and Exif Renamer with a nice graphical user interface
- Raw image processing software
- Desktop publishing application
- Photo organizer
- Easy file sharing based on git repositories
- Vector-based 2D animation studio
- Notetaking, sketching, PDF annotation and general journal
- A free open-source raytracing render engine
Packages in Design Suite
- Name - Description
Audio and Video
Packages under review
Lists of packaged submitted for review. A good place to learn about the procedure and the common practice. If the package is accepted for inclusion in Fedora repository, add design-sw in InitialCC while submitting a SCM Admin request. please move it to accepted packages, else move it to refused packages and list the reason of refusal.
- Name - Description - rhbug#
knotter- A free and open source customizable interlace designer - 996209
birdfont- An editor for creating outline vector graphics and exporting fonts - 978177
fntsample- A program for making font samples that show Unicode coverage of the font - 999998
Fedora Design Packages WishList
Proposed packages to include in Fedora repository for Design Team. When future packager picked up the desired software for review, please move it in the review process. If the sofware cannot be included in Fedora repository, move the software in refused packages and list the reason.
- Status - Name and url - Description - Comments
- PSPI (Lets you install Photoshop plugins) - may be problematic because of wine requirement
- Color Match
- Focus Blur
- Contrast Blending
- Image Registration
- Save for Web
- Swatchbooker its a tool for manage swatches, mostly color sets now, its not active developed but it still works and is helpful for e.g. converting color palettes from adobe swatch exchange (*.ase) to *.gpl. Its not packaged yet but thats not a big deal, its python.
- Alchemy , not easy to describe what it does, it helps to create a creative chaos where you can work with. Its not really active developed but it still works, is also not packaged yet. It uses java and netbeans
- Evolvotron its a tool for generate creative patterns. Its not packaged yet should be harder as it uses c++/QT
- NeoTextureEdit it helps you to create seemless textures, for 3D games or blender. Also not packaged yet, it uses java
- jlipsyncor Papagayo , both do the same taking a sound file and try to recognize the phonemes. With help of that tool you can animate 3D/2D speaking characters. jlipsync bases on java and papagayo on python, personally I prefer Papagayo but its tricky on 64bit machines as the development stopped and there are no 64bit versions
- StopMotion its a tool for creating stop motion animations with your camera, it was started once from SkoleLinux but isnt active developed anymore but it still works.
- Tupi is a tool for doing 2d animations, but easier to learn and handle as SynfigStudio, puiterwik tries to package it since a few days
- Alchemy - chaos generation tool, good for artists and sketchers
- Denim - UI sketching tool. BSD license. Created by the University of Washington. Crossplatform TabletPC input.
- GimpShop - GimpShop is a fork of gimp for more compatibility with a commercial image editing program.
- HandBrake - HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder.
- Lightworks - is a non-linear editing system for video.
- Pencil2D - an animation/drawing software
- Dopey - A 2D animation program based on MyPaint
List of rejected software for inclusion in Fedora repository.
- Name - Description - Comments
This section tracks the latest upstream development packaged in individual Fedora People repository. Using them wil help exposing bug, and exploring new features without disturbing the main Fedora repositories. In addition, the resulting source RPM will teach upstream about the good practice of packaging. To use these repository for testing purpose:
- access to these links below,
- put the repo file in into /etc/yum.repos.d/
- execute the update using either Software Update or input the command in terminal
sudo yum update.