This is to help document the process to get SAGE (http://sagemath.org/), the open-source computer algebra/mathematics framework into Fedora.
People interested helping in packaging/reviewing:
- Rex Dieter
- Alex Lancaster
- Manuel Wolfshant
- Kevin Kofler
- Neal Becker
- Conrad Meyer
- ...add your name here...
- Debian: http://wiki.sagemath.org/DebianSAGE
- PcLinuxOS: http://www.mypclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=1509.msg13532#msg13532
On fedora-devel KevinKofler points out that:
One problem will be that they're bundling many third-party components which should be packaged separately:http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/doc/html/inst/intro.html
So the first step is to track down which of these dependencies are in Fedora already, whether they need any patches to work with SAGE, whether they are build-time (BuildRequires) dependencies, run-time (Requires) dependencies or both, whether they're required or optional and package those which are not in Fedora yet.
He suggests the following order:
- package required build-time dependencies
- package required run-time dependencies
- package as many optional build-time dependencies as possible
- package SAGE itself
- package optional run-time dependencies (and decide on a case by case basis whether it makes sense to add them as actual Requires: dependencies to the package or not)
Required components that SAGE ships with: http://sagemath.org/packages/standard/
Optional components that SAGE ships with: http://sagemath.org/packages/optional/
Missing required components
(If you are working on packaging a component or have filed a review request bug, please note it or link to something here.)
- Cddlib Review Request
- CUDD Review Request
- CVXOPT Review Request
- EClib Review Request
- Flint Review Request
- G95 Not needed, we can use gcc-gfortran instead. 
- GAP This is large (they claim you need 500M of disk)
- Genus2reduction Review Request
- Gfan Review Request
- Givaro Review Request
- Lcalc Review Request
- Linbox Review Request
- NetworkX Review Request
- PolyBoRi Review Request
- Qd Review Request
- Singular I'm also working on this (konradm) and some deps.
- Sympow Review Request
- Symmetrica Review Request
- ZODB Depends on: python-ZConfig through python-zope-testing above.
Completed (reviewed and built) required components
- FpLLL Review Request Completed, in Fedora
- GMP-ECM Review Request completed, in Fedora
- IML Review Request Completed, in Fedora
- M4RI Review Request complete, in Fedora
- MPFI Review Request Completed, in Fedora
- PALP Review Request Completed, in Fedora
- PyCrypto Already packaged in Fedora (python-crypto).
- Sympy Review Request Completed, in Fedora
- Weave Already in scipy.
- From upstream's readme.txt: "If you're using Fortran on a platform without g95 binaries included with Sage, e.g., Itanium, you must use a system-wide gfortran.". So they support gfortran and even system-wide installations of it.