Fedora Security Spin
The Fedora Security Spin is a livecd based on Fedora to provide a safe test-environment for working on security-auditing, forensics and penetration-testing, coupled with all the Fedora-Security features and tools.
The spin is maintained by a community of Security Testers and Developers. It comes with the clean and fast LXDE Desktop Enviroment and a customized menu to have all the instruments one may need to follow a proper test-path on security testingor to rescue a broken system. With the read-write rootfs, it is possible to install software while the livecd is running. The Fedora liveusb-creator provides an overlay feature to put the security-spin on an usb-stick so that the user can install and update software - and can save his test-results permanently.
Benefit to Fedora
- covered by the above Description
- A stable platform for teaching security along Security Classes in Universities and Organisations like the ISECOM
- People learn about Fedora through these Classes
- Showcase for all Security-Features
- A Toolset for proper Security-Testing
- a complete Repair/Rescue System - with tools not contained on the other LiveCD's to rescue your System
- gather interested People to package new upstreams for this spin
- see Wishlist
- Cool Marketing Instrument!
- There are Industry Partners who are interested to contribute
- and also contained in this presentation SecuritySpin and the OSSTMM
ISO Name / FS Label
- ISO name: Fedora-$release-$arch-LiveSecurity
- FS-Label: Fedora-$release-$arch-Security
Scope / Testing
- Run basic spin testing
- Test installs from livecd and usb, test livecdcreator
- persistence of Security Menu after installs
- how the available Applications work
- what else is needed to have it as a good rescue system as well?
- work on customize Artwork - ongoing
Spins Page is set up http://spins.fedoraproject.org/security/[[Category:]]