Fedora Security Spin
The Fedora Security Spin is a livecd based on Fedora to provide a safe test-environment for working on security-auditing, forensics and penetration-testing, coupled with all the Fedora-Security features and tools.
- Quality Assurance: Athmane Madjoudj
The spin is maintained by a community of Security Testers and Developers. It comes with the clean and fast LXDE Desktop Enviroment and a customized menu to have all the instruments one may need to follow a proper test-path on security testingor to rescue a broken system. With the read-write rootfs, it is possible to install software while the livecd is running. The Fedora liveusb-creator provides an overlay feature to put the security-spin on an usb-stick so that the user can install and update software - and can save his test-results permanently.
Benefit to Fedora
- covered by the above Description
- A stable platform for teaching security along Security Classes in Universities and Organisations like the ISECOM
- People learn about Fedora through these Classes
- Showcase for all Security-Features
- A Toolset for proper Security-Testing
- a complete Repair/Rescue System - with tools not contained on the other LiveCD's to rescue your System
- gather interested People to package new upstreams for this spin
- see Wishlist
- Cool Marketing Instrument!
- There are Industry Partners who are interested to contribute
- and also contained in this presentation SecuritySpin and the OSSTMM
ISO Name / FS Label
- ISO name: Fedora-$release-$arch-LiveSecurity
- FS-Label: Fedora-$release-$arch-Security
Testing / QA
- Run basic spin testing
- Test installs from livecd and usb, test livecd-creator
- Persistence of Security Menu after installations
- How do the available applications work?
- Current security lab applications test-cases
- As of Fedora 16, Security Lab release validation test events are available.
Please track your checks on the relevant release in the Security Lab Testing category
Spins Page is set up http://spins.fedoraproject.org/security/