Test Day:2009-02-26 Crash Catcher
|Thu February 26, 2009||From 12:00 to 20:00 UTC (7am -> 3pm ET)||#fedora-qa)|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on:
The following cast of characters will be available for testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
- Development - Zdenek Prikryl Jiri Moskovcak
- Quality Assurance - Martin Koci, Radek Biba, James Laska
Prerequisite for Test Day
- Rawhide fully updated (some tips below). Remember, Rawhide is an unsupported development branch: use an installation you don't mind getting broken.
- FAS Account - you can create an account in 3 minutes if you don't have one
- Selinux enabled. If you need to run in permissive mode please file a bug against selinux
How to test?
Update your machine to latest Rawhide
See the instructions on the Rawhide page on the various ways in which you can install or update to Rawhide.
For encrypted root partitions, you have to use patched plymouth packages.
Using rpm, that should be alright. (rpm will be provided later today)
- restart computer to launch the daemon and load necessary dbus configuration files
- check if the daemon is really running, if not for some reason, run `crash-catcher'
- run cc-applet (as an ordinary user)
=> crash watching should be ready now
Set up everything according to the description and:
- try to kill a running process, kill -SIGSEGV <pid> ( e.g. xchat is a good candidate ) !!! but be careful what you are using for chat on #fedora-qa? :) !!!
- the cc-applet tray icon should start flashing wildly
- once clicked, an option to open a GUI will be offered
- the GUI will let you select a particular crash and report it
- THE CRASH MUST BE FROM A SIGNED PACKAGE! (or checking gpg must be disabled in /etc/crash-catcher/crash-catcher.conf)
- If you found some bug against Features/CrashCatcher then fill a ticket via Track system on FedoraHosted
- If you have some objections, clues, ideas, whatever except bug use mailing list
- If you have questions ask on #fedora-qa channel
Enjoy it !