Test Day:2011-04-14 Virtualization
|Thursday April 14, 2011||From 12:00 to 21:00 UTC (8am -> 5pm EDT)||#fedora-test-day (webirc)|
What to test?
Today's installment of Fedora Test Day will focus on Virtualization improvements in Fedora 15. There is a large list of virtualization improvements coming in Fedora. To simplify things, testing will be divided up into a number of sections.
If you come to this page after the test day is completed, your testing is still valuable, and you can use the information on this page to test and provide feedback.
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
What's needed to test
- A fully updated Fedora 15 Alpha machine. See instructions below.
- Hardware virtualization support (e.g. Intel VT or AMD-V) (see How_to_debug_Virtualization_problems#Is_My_Guest_Using_KVM.3F Is My Guest Using KVM?). If unavailable, you can still help with testing QEMU support.
- At least one guest image installed before the test day (suggested reading - Virtualization_Quick_Start)
- Up to 10-20Gb free disk space. Guest images take up a lot of space.
- See the individual test area pages for specific requirements.
How to test?
Update your machine
See the instructions on the Branched page on the various ways in which you can install or update to the Branched release. You should have at least the following packages installed.
Install Fedora 15
Testing requires the latest virtualization software included in Fedora Rawhide. Update your system to the latest rawhide using one of the following techniques.
Note: if you are using the Live CD image, you will need to mount storage for guests either from the local disk or from NFS. If the latter, you will need to run
setsebool virt_use_nfs=on in order for it to work with SELinux.
When ready, select a category below and follow the instructions provided in each of the test cases:
- QA:Testcase Basic Migration using Qemu command-line
- QA:Testcase Live Migration using libvirt/virsh
- QA:Testcase Offline (paused) Migration using libvirt/virsh
- QA:Testcase Virtualization Check SPICE password support
- QA:Testcase Virtualization Manually set spice listening port with TLS port set
- QA:Testcase Virtualization Setting up a VM with Spice
- QA:Testcase Virtualization Spice listen on all public network interfaces
- QA:Testcase Virtualization libvirt create a logical pool
- QA:Testcase Virtualization libvirt save and restore with svirt
- QA:Testcase Virtualization libvirt set guest memory
- QA:Testcase Virtualization Attach/Detach a SCSI device to guest
- QA:Testcase Virtualization Hotplug USB device to guest
Report your Results
If you have problems with any of the tests, report a bug to Bugzilla. For instance file a bug report against the component virt-manager if you have problems testing the
virt-manager. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you. Also, consult How_to_debug_Virtualization_problems for guidance resolving any issues.
Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. For each test case, use the result template to enter your result, as shown in the example result line.
Each column should be a test case or configuration, and each row should consist of test results. Include a link where to report bugs. For example:
Please report all bugs into Bugzilla against the component listed in the individual test area.
Things that Work Well
|User:Elmarco||HW||spice all public interfaces (with iptables off)||
|User:Elmarco||HW||spice setting up||
|User:Mkulemin||HW||Spice with password||
|User:Mkulemin||HW||Setting up VM with spice||
Issues that Were Identified
|Marc-Andre||HW|| @virtualization should pull spice-gtk-python|| |
|jlaska||HW|| Installing @virtualization from gpk-application, logged out my desktop session automatically|| |
|jlaska||HW|| traceback when attempting tochange NIC device model|| |
|jlaska||HW|| Virt-viewer does not use high-res icon in gnome-shell application list|| |
|Mike Hinz||HW|| Spice / qxl causes the VM to freeze or otherwise misbehave within a few minutes of logging in. Also VM log file is filled with 'handle_dev_input: oom current 0 pipe 0' messages.|| |
|User:Mkulemin||HW|| "Resize to VM" don`t work with spice (When using virt-manager) patch in the ML|
|User:Mkulemin||HW||Fullscreen mode don`t work with spice using native resolution (1400x1050, guest with qxl drivers supports it)|