There have been various issues with Fedora updates over the years. This page attempts to note such issues, not as a way of placing blame, but as a way of learning from this issues and preventing them from happening again. When a new issue comes up, it should be added to this page. If you know of one not noted here, please do add it.
Currently, this page just lists issues that caused problems for a large number of Fedora users. It's sorted in 'most recent first', so new issues should be added to the top. The date used is when the issue started. Ie, when the update landed in the stable updates repo.
2010-06-24 - Evolution abi breaking update
This update [ https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/evolution-mapi-0.30.2-1.fc13,evolution-exchange-2.30.2-1.fc13,evolution-2.30.2-1.fc13,evolution-data-server-2.30.2-2.fc13,gtkhtml3-3.30.2-1.fc13 ] was pushed out on 2010-06-24 (a thursday). It changed the so version in evolution, so all packages that depend on it or evolution-data server needed to be recompiled and pushed out as well. The issue was not fully solved until 2010-06-29 (5 days after it started).
- Breakages that occur on thursday or friday are difficult to fix quickly due to no pushes sat/sun.
- ABI breaks in stable releases should be coordinated.
- Negative karma appeared very quickly, but the update was already pushed.
- Requesting stable updates after only 2 hours eariler requesting updates-testing is not a good idea. It didn't even have a chance to be pushed to updates-testing.
- AutoQA should be able to note these issues and block the update once it's implemented.
2010-02-09 - dnssec-conf
This update [ https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/dnssec-conf-1.21-7.fc12 ] caused breakage in bind nameservers. It was solved 2010-02-13 with [ https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/dnssec-conf-1.21-8.fc12 ] (4 days after it started). Fedora-announce postings on the issue: http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2010-February/002765.html and http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2010-February/002768.html
- Update was pushed directly to stable with no testing.
- Modifies config files that users could modify, making updates very fragile.
2009-03-09 - NetworkManager unsigned issue
A NetworkManager update with an incorrect key was pushed out in updates. See http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2009-March/002620.html for the issue description. It was corrected 2009-03-10 (1 day after it started)
- Check to make sure signatures match the release on pushes.