About me (Nils-Christoph Fiedler)
I am a Low German Open Source Software translator since summer 2009. I also coordinate the following Low German (nds) translation teams: GNOME, Fedora, Launchpad and the umbrella project for Low German translations on Sourceforge "nds.sourceforge.net". My experience with Linux reaches back to 2003.
- LP-Profile: https://launchpad.net/~ncfiedler
Low German is spoken by about 10.000.000 people worldwide. Varieties of Low German especially exist in Germany, Netherlands, Danmark, Kazakhstan, Kirghizia, Russia, Canada, USA, Mexico, Belize, Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay. Since 1994 Low German is officially accepted as a minorities language by the European Charta, that needs to be protected for its cultural value. Low German is, next to German, an official language in the states of Northern Germany. Today Low German still tends to be a language, that is mainly spoken in the private area. Linux benefits from this fact, because the user immediately feels more familiar with his / her operating system, when being accosted in this privately used language.
- Fedora Translationteam & guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Teams/LowGerman
- Umbrella coordination project: http://nds.sourceforge.net
Related translation projects
- GNOME: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/nds
- Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~lp-l10n-nds
- Translationproject: http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/team/nds/