Steven M. Parrish
Started my Linux experience about 8 years ago when I purchased, yes purchased a copy of Red Hat Desktop Linux. Eventually migrated to Gentoo to "get my hands dirty" learning the ends and outs of Linux. Switched to Fedora during the F7 Alpha and never looked back.
- Email: [[MailTo(smparrish AT gmail DOT com)]
- IRC: IRC Nick SMParrish
- GPG key: 0xA9A613C0
- Fedora Account: tuxbrewr
FUDCON 2009 Proposal
~150.00 subsidy for hotel (need) ~ 90.00 Passport fees (wish)
I am presenting 2 topics. Effective Bug Reporting, And Sugar & Fedora. Will also be organizing a KDE hackfest, and want to sit in on Toshio's Panel discussion
Sugar & Fedora
Sugar is a desktop originally designed for the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project.
Sugar began an a complete OS for the OLPC, however recently it has been decided to rebase Sugar on Fedora. Fedora will now be the base OS and the Sugar Desktop will be installed on top of Fedora. Alot of effort has been put into packaging the Sugar Desktop and activities for Fedora.
The OLPC hardware is currently being upgraded. The form factor will remain the same but the internals are getting a much needed boost.
There are currently 2 ongoing projects to release Fedora based builds for both hardware versions.
Also by basing future releases on Fedora, the Sugar Desktop can be run on hardware other than the OLPC bringing its education focus to more that just OLPC users.
Seeing that Sugar Desktop is geared towards education and the non power-user we need to find a way to allow these users to submit bugreports to the Fedora Project. Looking at the current interface RedHat Bugzilla user by both Red Hat and Fedora its readily apparent that this would not work for our audience.
My proposal SugarZilla is meant to solve this problem
Activities within Fedora
- Bug triage, main focus is KDE.
- Review new Sugar/OLPC and KDE related packages.
- Help with bringing new packagers to Fedora as a Sponsor
- Package maintainer for
- acpi -- Command-line ACPI client
- acpitool -- Command line ACPI client
- conman -- ConMan - The Console Manager
- cppunit -- C++ unit testing framework
- esmtp -- User configurable relay-only Mail Transfer Agent (MTA)
- gmm -- A generic C++ template library for sparse, dense and skyline matrices
- kpackagekit -- KDE interface for PackageKit
- liferea -- An RSS/RDF feed reader
- powerman -- PowerMan - Power to the Cluster
- quassel -- QT4 Based distrubuted IRC system
- spicebird -- mail, calendar and messaging app
- tripwire -- IDS (Intrusion Detection System)
- subtitlecomposer -- A text-based subtitles editor
- sugar-calculator -- Calculator for Sugar
- sugar-chat -- Chat client for Sugar
- sugar-terminal -- Terminal for Sugar
- sugar-update-control -- Activity update control panel for Sugar
- sugar-write -- Word processor for Sugar