User:Vanilla/Women of Fedora
Fedora Women aims to provide a central forum and point of support for the often under-represented side of Fedora's Community.
A large portion of the Fedora userbase is made up of women. They are often under-represented within the community, with many people not even realizing how big a share of the community they are. The Fedora Women program aims to improve that representation and to provide a forum for the women of the Fedora Community.
Fedora Women Project Mission
Provide a forum for women in the Fedora Community
The project will provide a central forum where women in the Fedora Community can work together or socialize. In a community where women make up only a small percentage of the overall population, this will provide a way for women to get in touch with one another without the distractions that may appear elsewhere and will allow members of this smaller segment of the population to find one another.
Provide a stronger voice for the women of the Fedora Community
By allowing the women of the Fedora Community to coordinate with one another and speak in unison, this project will provide a larger collective voice that will make the will of the group more apparent to the rest of the community.
This project will attempt to bring some balance to a community that is made up of mostly men. It is not intended to separate women from the rest of the community, but rather to bring them closer to it by making sure they are included in the community voice.
This project isn't meant to be just a dull channel for a few ideas, it is meant to be a fun and engaging environment that fosters participation and further development. This should never be forgotten.
Communicate and Get Involved
#fedora-women IRC channel on freenode is always available for live chat.
Women of Fedora
Paste the Category:Women tag on the bottom of the wiki page that you desire to be tagged as such.
Joining the Fedora Project
Women who are interested in working with the Fedora Project can work with Fedora Women to get started. They can also work through the Fedora Mentors project to get assistance for every step. For more information about working with the Fedora Project, see these resources:
- fedora-announce-list Announcement
- FedoraNEWS.ORG Appearance
- Slashdot Announcement
- ZDNet News Article
- LinuxChix is a community of women working with Linux.
- GNOME Women is a group dedicated to providing encouragement for women to contribute to GNOME.
- KDE-Women is about building a community of female KDE contributors and users.
- The Debian Women Project seeks to balance and diversify the Debian Project by actively engaging with interested women and encouraging them to become more involved with Debian.
- Ubuntu-Women is a team functioning under Ubuntu to provide a platform and encouragement for women to contribute to Ubuntu.
- Centroamericanas is a group of women working with Free Software in Central America. They have reached beyond the region. This is a Spanish speaking group.
- Geek Feminism Wiki A wiki for all news about and for women in geek spaces.