The following paragraphs are provisional content during the (doc) migration from dist-cvs to dist-git is happening.
Here is a basic table of equivalent commands:
|OLD CVS||NEW GIT||Notes|
|cvs checkout libfoo||fedpkg clone libfoo|| Note that branches are not separated out by directory with this command. |
To switch to a different branch with this layout, run: fedpkg switch-branch f13
|cvs checkout libfoo (ALTERNATE)||fedpkg clone -B libfoo||This command creates the same branch/directory layout that was used with cvs.|
|cvs update||git pull||fedpkg will get a pull soon.|
|cvs commit .||fedpkg commit -p|
|cvs commit -m 'breaking things' .||fedpkg commit -m 'breaking things' -p|
|cvs commit -F clog .||fedpkg commit -F clog -p||Use the contents of file "clog" as the commit message.|
|make clog||fedpkg clog||Create the "clog" file from the %changelog of the specfile.|
|make tag||N/A||Explicitly tagging source states for package builds is no longer necessary.|
|make build||fedpkg build|
|BUILD_FLAGS="--nowait" make build||fedpkg build --nowait||If you don't want to wait for the build to complete before freeing up the shell.|
|make prep||fedpkg prep|
|make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar : baz'||fedpkg chain-build foo bar : baz||Just like before, the current directory package is always added to the end of the CHAIN list.|
|make scratch-build||fedpkg scratch-build|
|make local||fedpkg local|
|make x86_64||fedpkg local --arch x86_64|
|make upload FILES='apollo starbuck'||fedpkg upload apollo starbuck||Remember, this adds new source files without replacing others.|
|make new-sources FILES='red_fish blue_fish'||fedpkg new-sources red_fish blue_fish||This replaces any existing source files.|
|make help||fedpkg -h|
|./cvs-import.sh libfoo-1.2-3.src.rpm|| mkdir libfoo
fedpkg import libfoo-1.2-3.src.rpm
fedpkg commit -p
Merging is one of the things that we can now do directly in the VCS that we had to do with an external diff program in CVS. Getting used to how it works may take a little adjustment though.
First, the way we imported from cvs means that we have to do a little work to make the older release branches "mergable" (F-14, since it branched after the conversion to git, doesn't need this).
fedpkg clone bzrtools cd bzrtools git merge origin/f13/master # If no conflicts proceed to the next step. # Otherwise, resolve the conflicts, git add & git commit, and then move on git merge origin/f12/master git merge origin/el6/master git merge origin/el5/master
Now when you make changes on one branch and want to move them to a different branch, you can use git to merge those changes.
fedpkg clone bzrtools # Make some changes in the master branch fedpkg new-sources bzrtools-2.2.tar.gz vim bzrtools.spec git commit fedpkg switch-branch f14 git merge master
Resolving conflicts is only slightly different than in cvs. When you git merge and a conflict occurs you still edit the files that have conflicts. Remove the conflict markers in the files and merge the changes manually. Then you need to commit your changes. Do that with
git add CONFLICTEDFILES ; git commit
|Old CVS||new remote git||fedpkg local branch names||Notes|
|devel||origin/master||master||This is the default when you do fedpkg co|
During the next few days and weeks, occasional tweaking to the servers might cause short periods (seconds or minutes) when the git server refuses you access. Just try again.
Some links related to dist-git:
- http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/ BROKEN (listing 10K+ packages does not work). Use e.g. http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=erlang.git directly for the erlang package.
- PackageMaintainers/Git_Admin_Requests (was CVS_admin_requests and PackageMaintainers/CVSAdminProcedure)
Some links related to the actual migration to dist-git:
- fedpkg replaces make
- git replaces cvs
Some links needing migration follow. Note that after migration texts might better refer to generic SCM instead of a specific name like cvs or git:
- PackageMaintainers/NewPackageProcess contains CVS specific parts
- PackageMaintainers/UsingCvsFaq obsolete, start PackageMaintainers/UsingGitFaq?
- Package_Renaming_Process trivial fixes neede
- CVS_access_for_package_maintainers lots to do,
- PackageMaintainers/BuildRequests fedpkg instead of make
- PackageMaintainers/PackagingTricks contains references to cvs, make
- Package_update_HOWTO references cvs+make
- PackageMaintainers/BuildSystemClientSetup#Install_the_Client_Tools_.28Koji.29 references cvs+make
- PackageMaintainers/MockTricks#How_do_I_use_Mock.3F talks about "CVS sandbox"
- Package_Review_Process talks about CVS
- Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle talks about CVS
- PackageMaintainers/Join#Add_Package_to_CVS_and_Set_Owner refers to CVS and fedora-cvs
This list probably is not complete.