|Promoting women's involvement in the Fedora Project|
|IRC||#fedora-women on irc.freenode.net|
Fedora Women is a project designed to connect and assist women who are interested in using and contributing to Fedora.
Because it is estimated that only 1.5% of free and open source software (FOSS) developers are female, Fedora Women is crucial in both uniting and empowering women against gender-based stigmas, which are often considered detrimental to the success of female FOSS developers. Since being announced in July 2006, Fedora Women has striven to raise awareness of the female community - along with the many roles women have as contributors and users - within the Fedora Project.
- Provide a forum for women in the Fedora Community.
- The project provides a central forum where women in the Fedora Community can work or socialize with one another without the distractions that may appear elsewhere.
- Provide a stronger voice for the women of the Fedora Community.
- By allowing the women of the Fedora Community to coordinate with one another and speak in unison, this project provides a larger collective voice, making the will of the group more apparent to the rest of the community.
- Avoid segregation.
- This project attempts to bring some balance to a community that is made up of mostly men. It is not intended to separate women from the rest of the community, but rather to bring them closer to it by making sure they are included in the community voice.
- Have fun!
- This project is not meant to be just a dull channel for a few ideas. Fedora Women is, ideally, a fun and engaging environment that fosters participation and further development.
Women who are interested in working with the Fedora Project can work with Fedora Women to get started. They can also work through the Fedora Mentors project to get assistance for every step.
For more information, visit Join the Fedora Community.
For more information, visit Fedora Mentors.
- GNOME Women
- The Debian Women Project
- Geek Feminism Wiki
- (Spanish) Centroamericanas