Fedora Ambassadors Meeting Minutes 2006-02-23
- Location: irc.freenode.net
- Channel: #fedora-mktg
- Date and Time: 2006-03-02, 14:00 UTC
- AlexMaier (
- ThomasChung (
- ThomasCanniot (
- PatrickBarnes (
- KushalDas (
- GregDeKoenigsberg (
- BobJensen (
- GeroldKassube (
- NickYeoman (
- MaxSpevack (
- JoseTarazona (
- ChitleshGoorah (
- JorgeTorres (
- PuneetBatura (
- PawelSadowski (
- FrancescoUgolini (
- JackAboutboul (
Review upcoming events
- There was a discussion on the list about whether it makes sense to always discuss the events first events take up a lot of time
- lxmaier supports the idea that attending and organizing events in the main purpose of this group
- GeroldKa: maybe it's a good thing to be better prepared from the owners, to have the best try for all and a speedy update of the event themselves as nobody present seemed to be in favour of moving the events to the end, the Schedule order will remain unchanged.
Feb 25, 2006 Fedora Day Hengelo (Gld), Netherlands
- The first day in The Netherlands to promote Fedora and to support new users.
- Owner: ThijsHulshof
- Fedora presentations and install fest
- Thijs'll send feedback to the list when the day is finished.
Feb 25-26, 2006 FOSDEM Brussels, Belgium
- The sixth Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting in Brussel -Belgium-
- Owner: FredericHornain, ThomasCanniot
- Status: Reserved Fedora Stand, Thomas emailed FredericHornain and the booth is reserved, we have DVDs and tshirts
- Fred will bring his computer and Thomas will demo FC5T3
- The owners are working with ChitleshGoorah for a handout to give with the DVDs
- A livecd might be also an option.
- StillBob: having F4 and FC5T3 side by side might be interesting to visitors
- lxmaier: you might want to find a microphone and an amp and talk to your demo. you schedule a live demo at say every even hour, and you make an on-the-booth presentation, so that people can gather at the scheduled times. usually this draws a considerable crowd. you might want to combine it with a short presentation from the slides available online
Mar 13-16, 2006 Jornada de Divulgación Científica y Tecnológica Bogota, Colombia
- A whole day organized for an Recognized University in Colombia for conferences on subjects related to Open Source Software as well as telecommunications, medical artificial intelligence and computer science. It will have universities of the country and the world.
- http://www.sistemasunbosque.edu.co and http://www.equisl.org
- JoseTarazona My participation and Stand confirmed
- JoseTarazona has been talking with people to get two PCs for the stand
- Jose would like to have a live videoconference between 12:00 and 18:00 GMT – 5:00.
- A prerecorded video session could be useful, but the Q&A section will be missing this way. but it will be appreciated anyway.
- Jose also wants to know if there is any chance to receive some DVDs and some T-Shirts?
- lxmaier: we might be able to ship freshly-burned FC5 DVDs to JoseTarazona if we are EXTREMELY lucky
Apr 3-6, 2006 LinuxWorld Boston 2006 Boston, MA, USA
- LinuxWorld US See LinuxWorld/LinuxWorldBoston2006.
- Owners: MatthewMiller JackAboutboul
- Matt will contact JesseKeating or local PC vendor about hardware needed for the booth.
- Matt will conatct JackAboutboul about registering for free booth.
- Apr 7, 2006 FUDCon Boston 2006 Boston, MA, USA
- Sequel to the first FUDCon.
- See FUDCon/FUDConBoston2006.
- gregdek: LWCE: Looking to get a Fedora-branded install pavilion at the .org at LWCE, with the help of Pogo.
- LWCE: Booth squared away by Jack today.
- FUDCON: Space all set.
- FUDCON: RFP for sessions has been out a couple of weeks, closes tomorrow nite, he's got about a dozen possible sessions, plus sessions that will be given by RHATters from the Boston area.
- FUDCON: Pre-registration will open up next week. Space *may* be limited, so people who preregister will get stickers onsite and will have first preference.
- We'll have 1 1/2 tracks. :) One morning track, 2 afternoon tracks.
Apr 19-22, 2006 FISL 7.0 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
- 7th International Free Software Forum.
- This is the biggest conference for IT Infrastructure and Developers in Brazil.
- See FISL for more description.
- Owner: RodrigoPadula.
May 3-6, 2006 LinuxTag/FUDCon Wiesbaden 2006 Wiesbaden, Germany
- LinuxTag Germany See FUDCon/FUDConWiesbaden2006 GeroldKassube
- FlorianBrand help wanted and needed!
- In the last meeting GeroldKa gave the wrong date for the decission from the organisation team; it's not the Feb. 20th. Decission will be informed on 24th and that's tomorrow ... So nothing more news till right now; we've to wait until tomorrow but I stay in contact with FlorianBrand and JensKuehnel for all things
- GeroldKa: for me / us it's very important be be supported by all of you
May 15-16, 2006 LinuxWorld Italy 2006 Milan, Italy
- LinuxWorld Italy AndreaMaurizioGnerre Andrea has contacted the organization of the event.
- They moved to a sponsorized event format. I have prices for that if anybody is interested.
- FrancescoUgolini: i don't know if i'm avaiable — I will find out in the first week of march
- Owner: ChitleshGoorah
- ChitleshGoorah: Each week, Im sending a reminder in the list to push things forwards. Personnaly the SC might force things forward, since FC5 is coming out soon.
- Let's integrate Fedora in the daily life of everyone. This might be a way to make them aware of fedora. FedoraLibraries needs a Fedora Live CD.
- ChitleshGoorah will talk with gredgek later to move things in that perspective.
- ChitleshGoorah is going to FUDCon Wiesbaden depending on his practical class schedule
- ChitleshGoorah: next week, Ill talk with the directory of my university if he can push things for me too
- lxmaier: okay, so ChitleshGoorah, what do we need to do to get ISBN and ISSN codes for the CDs and DVDs?
- kushal: If you wish to obtain an ISBN, you should contact the national or regional ISBN agency in your own country. Presently, more than 160 countries or territories are official ISBN members.
- greendisease: i can work on that. i think the filing fee is 250 USD. you get a lot of 20 codes, and then the issn numbers work for a series
- tchung: shoudn't Fedora Foundation file ISBN for Fedora DVD or CDs media
- lxmaier strongly agrees
- gregdek wonders if we should be considering Lulu for this...
- gregdek will ask Mr. Hogan from Lulu what he knows about ISBN numbers.
- ChitleshGoorah and greendesease will pursue the project further if
- gregdek hooked him up with Lulu people.
- Owner: AlexMaier / GregDeKoenigsberg
- Need to make sure that the schwag pipeline is functional.
- This is separate from the actual stuff we send; this is just making sure that the stuff we send actually gets to the places it needs to go.
- gregdek has cost estimates for the US store. this means that we can start the production soon, and request to replicate the stores in EMEA and APAC.
- then we will be able to give out "credits" to some ambassadors, like when they attend events, so they can stock up on schwag.
- We need to determine policy and procedure first, but we expect to have both kits and vouchers.
Funding for attendance
- lxmaier: here we have a kind of unwritten policy: if an ambassador wants money to attend and/or run an event, they will write an email to one or all of FAMSCO (Fedora AMbassadors Steering COmmittee) members, who will then discuss and approve the expense ...or not. for the upcoming quarter (march-may 2006) we are still waiting for a budget approval from red hat. as soon as the budget is approved, gregdek will report to the list.
- tchung: can any ambassadors can write for famsco-list ?
- lxmaier: tchung: they can write, but i will have to approve for the message to go through
Presentations for Ambassadors
- We need to provide Ambassadors with some slide decks for various presentations.
- We should probably aggregate the ones we already have and make them available.
- We should also figure out our policy for licensing these presentations!
- ChitleshGoorah: as MrTom said, we are working on a one-page flyer in French. at the same time we will create an updated one for FC5
- ChitleshGoorah is creating a OOo Impress document concerning Kadischi. Hence ambassadors can spread the word.
- gregdek: Have folks seen the presentation I uploaded from FUDCon Delhi? puneet_batura can tell you how it went... You can find it at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConDelhi2006
- FrancescoUgolini: due to work prblem in the past week i could translate only two chapter of fedora install guide, now, i've translated 6 chapters, i think i will able to complete all, if i haven't any problem, in two weeks.
- greendisease: would like to perhaps set up an asterisk server, so we could do Ambassadors meeting that way. he will post to the list to introuduce the idea for discussion.
- nman64: We cannot preclude people that might not have adequate technologies. IRC is already a problem for a few people.
- lxmaier: i think asterisk is a good idea--to try at least once and see how it goes
- greendisease: yeah, it should be fairly straightforward and we can build on success if it works out
- Meeting Minutes summarized by AlexMaier
- Meeting Minutes posted by ThomasChung