Update tcl/tk from 8.5 to 8.6 in Fedora 21.
- Name: Jaroslav Škarvada
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
Latest stable TCL/TK is version 8.6.1, currently there is version 8.5.13 in Fedora. The aim of this change is to update the TCL/TK to latest stable upstream release.
Benefit to Fedora
TCL/TK 8.6 brings many new features and bug fixes, e.g. full IPv6 support. For highlights of 8.6 release see upstream page: http://tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.6.html
- Proposal owners:
Update spec file and build in koji (scratch builds / private branch already exists), see RHBZ #889201 for details.
- Other developers:
Cca. 60 other packages need to be revised, updated, patched or rebuild (most patches already exist), see RHBZ #889201 for details.
- Release engineering:
Tag creation, re-tagging, (tag f21-tcl already exists), see RHBZ #889201 for details.
- Policies and guidelines: Probably no policy, guideline change needed.
TCL/TK 8.6 includes most of the features of TCL/TK 8.5. Most applications that use TCL/TK should continue to function properly after rebuild, some may need patching.
How To Test
- No special hardware is needed.
- Integration testing simply consists of installing tcl/tk packages on Fedora and checking that it does not break other packages.
- Functional testing consists of checking whether dependant packages correctly work (e.g. gitk, expect...). This could be done by users during the beta phase.
User experience may improve, due to new features (like full IPv6 support).
Packages that must be reubild:
$ repoquery -s --releasever=rawhide --whatrequires "libtcl8*" --whatrequires "libtk8*" --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=fedora | sort -u
- Contingency mechanism: Stick with tcl/tk 8.5
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? N/A