FUDCon:Bid for Las Vegas 2012
- Proposed: January 27-29, 2012.
Date straddles the weekend between football playoffs and Super Bowl, which is better for rates (and people paying attention).
Also, CES and other conferences are in Vegas on other January weekends, leaving this as what looks like the best weekend for rates.
Las Vegas, Nevada.
 About Las Vegas
Really? Is that a question?? It's Vegas, baby!
 Reference Links
 Major Local Airports
McCarran International Airport (LAS) is the major international airport serving the Las Vegas area.
 Local Transit
There are a variety of ways to get around the Las Vegas area. In addition to your feet, taxicabs (which are *everywhere*), and rental cars....
 Bus Transit
Bus transit is available from the airport to the strip.
- Route 109 to the South Strip Transfer Terminal, and then taking "The Deuce" from the South Strip Transfer Terminal up Las Vegas Boulevard to the appropriate hotel.
- 2-hour transit tickets, including access to strip routes (the Deuce), can be purchased at POS kiosks. Passes can also be purchased in *advance* online. (Might be useful to buy and then ship via postal service to folks who are out of the country, etc. in advance for their ease of travel upon arrival in the states.)
(Because I know you all want to sing the Monorail song.)
- The Las Vegas Monorail is a comparatively (vs. taxicabs) inexpensive way to get around locations on the Vegas strip.
- Pricing: One-ride passes are $5; One-day passes are $12; 3-day passes are $28.
- The monorail has 7 stops, with each stop accessing or being very close (5-10 minute walk) to other strip hotels.
 Local Restaurants
Oh my! Robyn has bids coming in from all over the place.
 Rio Las Vegas
- Rate: $95/night, not including tax
- Concessions include:
- 1 per 50 comp rooms
- Two (2) complimentary upgrades to Cariocas Suite at group rate
- Two (2) VIP meeting diamond cards
- Two (2) welcome amenities for company VIP’s
- Two (2) complimentary limo transfers for company VIP’s on arrival date
- Meeting Facilities:
- 5-6 breakout meeting rooms for 25-50 people each day. $400/day for all rooms.
- One theatre-style ballroom setup for morning of first day, $350.
- Cost does not include tax or gratuity.
- Other hotel notes:
- The Rio is somewhat off-strip. It's certainly *close* to the trip, but not immediately in the middle of the action.
- Hotel Transportation options from the airport include:
- Airport shuttles: Approximately $10-15 each way. Taxi is $20-25 each way. Ridesharing with other Fedora friends would be optimal.
 Transportation to Event
 Costs from BOS (Boston, MA)
 Costs from RDU (Raleigh, NC)
 Costs from ORD (Chicago, IL)
$~250-$500 depending on carrier
 Costs from LAX (Los Angeles, CA)
 Costs from JFK (New York, NY)
 Costs from LHR (London, UK)
 FUDPub Options
 Family Fun
 About the Organizers - Previous FUDCon Experience
Robyn lives within 6 hours of Vegas. She has visited, um, numerous times each year for the past 5 or 6 years.