Provide support for hotplugging USB devices and having the desktop expand onto them and work efficiently.
- Name: Dave Airlie
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 25-July-2012
- Percentage of completion: 100%
Currently when you plug a USB graphics adapter into a system, nothing interesting occurs. These USB devices are being used in more docks and systems going forward. We need to provide a better experience for users.
Benefit to Fedora
Proper support for a current technology.
Re-write the X server to support GPU hotplugging. - done
Port drivers to new X server interfaces. - done
Write a KMS driver for displaylink devices. - done
Write a generic X.org KMS driver with hotplug support. - done
Implement some DE support for it. - TODO (optional).
How To Test
Own the USB displaylink hardware. Plug it in, see if the desktop expands or if you can control the desktop via the gnome panels.
- Fedora 18 adds support for using USB graphics adapters to extend the current desktop. Supported adapters are displaylink based ones.