Summer Coding 2010 proposal - DGC GTK GUI proposal by anirudhj
- What is your name? Anirudh J
- What is your email address? email@example.com
- What is your wiki username? Anirudhnair
- What is your IRC nickname? anirudhnair
- What is your primary language? Malayalam, also comfortable with Hindi, Tamil and English
- Where are you located, and what hours do you tend to work? India, I work from 6pm IST onwards.
- Have you participated in an open-source project before? If so, please send us URLs to your profile pages for those projects, or some other demonstration of the work that you have done in open-source. If not, why do you want to work on an open-source project this summer? I work for this open source foundation called Twincling. The project I'm working on is http://www.twincling.org/project/alan. It is still under development.
About your project
- What is the name of your project? DGC GTK GUI
- Does your project come from an idea on the Summer Coding 2010 ideas page? If so, provide a link for reference, as well as a link to any discussions with mentors about your proposal.Yes, the project comes from the ideas list. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010_ideas_-_DGC_GTK_GUI. I have communicated to my mentor https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Shakthimaan regarding the project. I have also taken the coding test and have mailed the final tarball to my mentor.
- Describe your project in 10-20 sentences. The project aims at creating a GUI using GTK+2 for Digital Gate Compiler (DGC, http://dgc.sourceforge.net/). The current GUI still uses old GTK+ API, and needs to be changed. The Use cases for the project are clearly specified at http://dgc.sourceforge.net/dgc_tutorial_toc.html#SEC_Contents. These use cases have to be re-implemented using GTK+ 2.0 APIs. The project will be implemented in C programming language with the aid of GTK+ and Supporting Libraries(GLib, GObject, GDK, GdkPixbuf and Pango).
- What is the timeline for development of your project? The timeline is yet to be discussed with the mentor. I'll update the wiki as soon as I finish discussing.
- Convince us, in 5-15 sentences, that you will be able to successfully complete your project in the timeline you have described. This is usually where people describe their past experiences, credentials, prior projects, schoolwork, and that sort of thing, but be creative. Link to prior work or other resources as relevant. I have resonable experience with GTK2+ now. The use cases are specified and the project will involve designing and coding each of these use cases. I have considerable experience writing code in C. All the advanced GTK2+ features can be understood from the solid API documentation. Therefore, the project can be finished within the timeframe decided my the mentor.
You and the community
- If your project is successfully completed, what will its impact be on the Fedora community? Give 3 answers, each 1-3 paragraphs in length. The first one should be yours. The other two should be answers from members of the Fedora community, at least one of whom should be a Fedora Summer Coding mentor. Provide email contact information for non-Summer Coding mentors. The project will benefit the Fedora Electronics Lab and the EDA community. Contributions towards a better user-interface will encourage the acceptance of the Open Source software amoung Electronic professionals. A better GUI for DGC will encourage more VLSI developers to use DGC and the Fedora Electronics Spin.
- What will you do if you get stuck on your project and your mentor isn't around? I will try to get help from the Fedora community through the IRCs and mailing lists. Also, I will get the help of various online forums and local user groups.
- In addition to the required blogging minimum of twice per week, how do you propose to keep the community informed of your progress and any problems or questions you might have over the course of the project? I'll keep my mentor informed through e-mails and I will also post the progress on the mailing list. I will also tweet about my progress. I blog at http://www.anirudhnair.wordpress.com and my tweets can be found at http://twitter.com/anirudhnair
- We want to make sure that you are prepared before the project starts
- Can you set up an appropriate development environment? Yes.
- Have you met your proposed mentor and members of the associated community? Yes
- What is your t-shirt size? M