As always, Fedora continues to develop and integrate the latest free and open source software. The following sections provide a brief overview of major changes from the last release of Fedora. For more details about other features that are included in Fedora 10, refer to their individual wiki pages that detail feature goals and progress. Also, throughout the release cycle, there are interviews with the developers behind key features giving out the inside story.
The following are major features for Fedora 10.
- Wireless connection sharing -- Enables ad hoc network sharing
- Better printing -- Improved management and handling of printers for ease of setup and use
- Virtualization storage -- Storage provisioning for local and remote virtualization connections now simplified
- SecTool -- A new security audit and intrusion detections system
- RPM 4.6 -- A major update to the powerful, flexible software management libraries
Some other features in this release include:
- Glitch free audio -- Rewrite of the PulseAudio sound server to use timer-based audio scheduling for better performance
- Improved webcam support -- Improved webcam support.
- Artistic 1.0 License Removal -- Remove all packages licensed under only the Artistic 1.0 license.
- Better support for infrared remote controls -- Make it easier to connect to remote controls and have them just work with many applications.
- Sbin sanity /usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin has been added to the PATH for normal users, to simplify command-line administration tasks.
Features for Fedora 10 tracked on the Feature list page.