We're going to be usability testing the new UI design in early 2013.
- Anaconda/UX Redesign/User Survey - User Survey given to testers before running the test.
- Anaconda/UX Redesign/Usability Test Scripts - Scripts for usability tests
- Anaconda/UX Redesign/Test Administrator Worksheet - Worksheets for test administrators to take notes on during the test.
- Anaconda/UX Redesign/Usability Results Westford - summary of the Westford usability test results (4 participants, experienced system adminstrators)
- Anaconda/UX Redesign/Usability Test Suggestions - suggestions for improvement made based on usability test session results (Brno & Westford)
We're also analyzing feedback about the installer from Fedora 18's release and categorizing it to understand where users are running into issues.
- Anaconda/UX Redesign/Press and Blog Coding - Coded set of press & blog feedback.
Development / Testing
- Work List - things you could be working on
- Testability - what works
- UX Questions - have a question about how the UI should handle something? log it here so we don't lose track
- Error Messages - error messages from the F16 UI, with notes on the context and how maybe better to handle them
- Discussion - notes from IRC brainstorming sessions with rationale, etc. on various decisions
- Design Comments 1 - feedback from physical posting of mockups
- RAID Redesign - Redesign of RAID interface in Anaconda
Ideas / Brainstorms / Mockups
Whiteboards... mockup ideas... sketches... diagrams... brainstorms.. whatever :)
- Testing Plan new
- Syslinux whiteboard
- Anaconda Visual Design Whiteboard
- Anaconda Language-Keyboard Design Whiteboard
- Anaconda Storage Re-initialization Whiteboard
- Anaconda sudo-by-default Whiteboard
- Location in Anaconda Whiteboard
- Anaconda Comic
Fedora 14 Install Process
- Fedora 14 Live Media Install Process - a screen-by-screen walkthrough of the LiveMedia install process.
- Fedora 14 DVD Install Process - a screen-by-screen walkthrough of the DVD install process.
- Current Install Process Analysis - analysis of the walkthroughs, as well as some questions & answers with the Anaconda technical team.
- clumen's ui tech notes
- dcantrell's writeup of other OS installers
- James Laska's list of supported Anaconda paths
- October 2010 devel-list thread
- clumen's dialog list]
- Pre-Redesign User Feedback - lots of comments and suggestions from users about the install process from before we started the redesign.
- make the defaults work such that you can just click next all the way through
- reduce the number of questions to just the important stuff.
Where does choice happen?
- Different spins
- Boot menu option (default=easy and an "advanced" option)
- Selection screen when anaconda starts
- "advanced" buttons in the anaconda pages
- PackageKit post-install
- Does live media allow to choose language for the installation? (Does the language choice during the USB stick bootup affect installer language?)
- Yes. Choosing a language in gdm makes anaconda use it and it becomes the installed system's default. I installed f14 from a live usb in Spanish and that's the default lang now. --Ivancjimenez 21:56, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- Some better fonts & control over syslinux's appearance might be nice. gfxboot (by the SuSE folks) seems to enable this. Is it something reasonable to consider trying? http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/GFXBoot.c32
- Haven't really considered it; willing to try it (pjones)
- Update We took a look and hpa does not recommend using gfxboot. Instead, we can definitely work with syslinux's theming to get it looking nice. See http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/fedora-installation-user-experience-improvements-syslinux/
- Can you opt-out of firstboot?
- Yes, you can in the kickstart file. However, if you opt-out of first boot and don't create a user in the kickstart file, you will not be able to use graphical log-in because GDM forbids root logins.
- You can get a functional system without firstboot, however.
- Offline installation
- l10n / non-English speakers (see Test_Day:2010-09-16_AnacondaTranslationKeyboard)
- "Very difficult to select non-US language and keyboard"
- "Back button selects US English keyboard, even though I have now specified UK keyboard *twice*"
- keyboard shortcuts / no mouse
- install of virt machines
- Live image
- "I believe the Ubuntu installer under discussion is the live installer. Like Fedora, there is no package selection involved there. Ubuntu gains considerable simplicity by having a separate installer app for live images and making that its default installer - I'm no expert, but I think the 'advanced' installer you can use for network installs and custom package selection and LVM and RAID and all that stuff is essentially Debian's installer, and is a completely different experience to the Ubuntu installer."
- Dual-boot (second neighbor or first neighbor)
- "user wants to either replace the current System completely or install the distribution into free space on his HD and but into either the old or the new installed system."
- various storage use-cases:
- advanced storage devices