|Line 118:||Line 118:|
Revision as of 13:44, 13 July 2008
FUDCon India 2008
Fedora Users and Developer's conference is tentatively scheduled in Bangalore, December 2008 as part of foss.in conference. The first FUDCon in India was at Delhi in 2006. The tentative plan is to follow the barcamp style if the infrastructure is available.
The Fedora Project desires to be part of FOSS.IN by organizing a Fedora Users and Developers Conference (hereinafter abbreviated to the more commonly recognized form: FUDCon). The FUDCon would be open for all those attending (and/or participating at FOSS.IN). Free pre-registration would be undertaken on the project wiki (Fedora Project Wiki) to estimate the probable attendance and perhaps arrange for pre-printed name tags.
By its very name FUDCon is aimed at users and developers within the Fedora Project. However, it is also aimed at raising the level of awareness of how to contribute to Fedora and in particular increase the number of contributors from India.
The Proposed Format
The FUDCon is proposed to have a collaborative format of a lesser number of talks and a larger share of sessions aimed at doing things in real life. This approach mandates that there is a strictly defined agenda and somewhat of a narrow focus to allow effective contributions and efficient usage of the presence at foss.in
This format is also seen to fit in with the foss.in philosophy of 'talk is cheap, show me the code' and thus the proposed FUDCon would be a good fit within the structure of the main event.
What gets done at FUDCon
From an overview a lot gets done if two conditions are met: [i] there are facilities for discussion and [ii] there are pre-defined areas of attack. While not completely finalized, there are a few topics that have received positive response on the fedora-india mailing list. These include:
- Packaging Java Applications with the aim to show ISVs how to package applications for Fedora
- Fonts (esp SIL and GFS ones) usually are a good place to start:
+ Reviews: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:In-progress_fonts + New packages: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Font_wishlist
- Writing TestCases and Contributing to Fedora Desktop QA Effort using Testopia instance
- Packaging Sprint for applications which are on the package wish-list
- Debugging using Systemtap leading to contribution of tapscripts to the War Stories section of the Systemtap wiki
- Merge Review sprint for Packaging
- Collaborative Bug Triage Sessions for generating new contributions
- Spins and LiveMedia sessions
- Internationalization and Localization Sprint
- KDE and Fedora sprint aimed at testing the KDE desktop and package small KDE apps in Fedora
- Hands on mirror set up [General and Instant mirror] [susmit]
In addition to this, there would be stations which would allow participants to get LiveMedia installed on USB and Join Fedora stations which would allow potential contributors to use the click-through CLA process to sign up.
A meeting with the GSoC students doing SoC Projects under Fedora is also proposed to be arranged.
- A room for talks - capacity 60-80 people.
- Space to arrange round-tables and chairs - at least 8 such sets so as to have parallel discussion sessions running
- Whiteboards, whiteboard markers and board eraser for each table
- An adequate number of flipcharts for each table
- A central table with a projector and display-screen to allow any
discussion group to move into impromptu presentation mode
- Wireless / Wired Network Access
- Adequate supply of power for laptops / desktops
- Sound amplification units
Build up to the FUDCon, including holding IRC classrooms and such which will help get in place an attentive audience would begin from the month of July and continue till FOSS.IN.
If you want to help organize this event, refer to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/Organization and details to cover and https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConF10 for the pattern to follow.
- http://foss.in. The alternative dates are first week of December 2008.
This are general materials needed for such a event. Need to finalise well before the event.
- Fedora Caps, Shirts.
- Laptop stickers, general stickers.
- Fedora Media(Live CD/DVD)
- Banners, Leaflet, booth setup materials.
|10.30 - 11.00||Welcome Speech||n/a|
|11.00 - 11.30||What||Who||n/a|
|11.30 - 12.00||What||Who||n/a|
|12.00 - 12.30||What||Who||n/a|
|12.30 - 13.00||What||Who||n/a|
|14.45 - 15.15||What||Who||n/a|
|15.15 - 15.45||What||Who||n/a|
|15.45 - 16.15||What||Who||n/a|
|16.15 - 16.45||What||Who||n/a|
|16.45 - 17.15||What||Who||n/a|
|17.15 - and beyond|