Latest revision as of 16:32, 30 November 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia :: May 18-20, 2012 — General event owner: Izhar Firdaus
|Before the event|
|At the event|
FUDCon is the Fedora Users and Developer's Conference, an opportunity for all who contribute to or use Fedora to meet, learn, plan, and hack. This event is free and is open to everyone.
To learn about what a FUDCon is like, you can view a video from the North American FUDCon 2009
For most recent updates, follow the Fedora Malaysia Google+ Page at http://gplus.to/fedoramy . If you have questions , please ask at the Fedora Malaysia Mailing List at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/malaysian-users
Registration is FREE and open to everyone. To keep cost predictable, t-shirt and swags are limited to early registrants/attendees. So register and attend early to avoid disappointment!!
Increasing contribution and contributors in APAC region.
 Event Details
- APIIT (Bukit Jalil)
- Date: 18th - 20th May 2012
- Time: 9am 18th May, to 5pm 20th May
 About Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur, or simply KL, is the capital of Malaysia. Literally meaning "muddy estuary" in Malay, Kuala Lumpur has grown from a small sleepy Chinese tin-mining village to a bustling metropolis of around 6.5 million (city-proper population of 1.8 million) in just 150 years. With some of the world's cheapest 5-star hotels, great shopping and even better food, increasing numbers of travellers are discovering this little gem of a city.
Being almost in the center of South East Asia, KL is easy and cheap to get to from around South-East Asia. It is a popular tourist destination for shopping, and like most parts of Malaysia, food-hunting. You'll be able to find the entire range of Malaysian cuisine and as well as food from around the world. Foods from various cultures, Malay, Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Korean, Japanese, you name it, you will find a restaurant serving it somewhere in KL. For technology enthusiasts you will find a wide range of computing and electronic gadgets at attractive prices.
Greater KL, often referred to as the Klang Valley by locals which includes neighouring cities, is also the primary IT capital of Malaysia, where plenty of shops and companies are based in. A number of international FOSS events have been organized by local community, notably Mozilla AsiaCamp, Google DevFest, FOSS.my, MOSC.my, GeekCamp, Barcamp, WebCamp, CampusCamp and several others.
Malaysia have a strong FOSS community which include groups such as Open Source Developer Club, Fedora Malaysia Team, Ubuntu Malaysia Team and Malaysia Free and Open Source Software Society. And various FOSS related events such as Mozilla Asia Camp 2011, Malaysia Open Source Conference,Malaysian Government Open Source Software Conference have been held before as well.
If you are into travelling, check out http://wikitravel.org/en/Kuala_Lumpur. There are a number of beaches, highlands, and historical spots around which might be of interests to some. Some recommended spots are:
- http://wikitravel.org/en/Malacca - historical city, contains a number of historical remains from 15th century. plenty of old dutch and portuguese architectures.
- http://wikitravel.org/en/Cameron_Highlands - popular for great scenery of the tea plantation.
- iCity - an area filled with LED lights .. http://www.google.com.my/search?q=icity+shah+alam&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch
 About the Venue
 Travel Information
You may check visa requirements to enter Malaysia here: http://www.kln.gov.my/web/guest/requirement-for-foreigner and http://www.malaysia.org.au/travel6.html
Travellers from ASEAN countries does not require visa for less than 1 month entrance.
 Getting to the venue
The venue is located not too far from Sri Petaling / Bukit Jalil LRT station (Sri Petaling line). There will be pickup bus available from the station to the venue.
If you are coming from the low cost terminal, first take the bus to KL Sentral, then, at KL Sentral, take the Rapid KL LRT to Masjid Jamek, from there you will need to switch to the Sri Petaling line, go out from the underground station to another station above ground. At Sri Petaling line, take the train to Sri Petaling station.
You may refer the railway map here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Rapid_KL_map_%28with_regional_rail_lines%29.jpg
There are multiple airlines which provide cheap travel to Malaysia, one of the main one is AirAsia (http://airasia.com). Flight cost for ASEAN countries are usually between 200USD-600USD for roundtrip.
There are a number of hotels approximately 3-5km from the venue ranging from cheap to expensive.
|Company||Phone||Rate||Distance to Venue||Notes|
|Hotel Sri Petaling||+60390582323|| MYR184 for 2 person room,
MYR310 for 4 person room
|4KM http://g.co/maps/zvn93||Also have hall facilities. Plenty of food areas nearby|
|Hotel 128||+60389940332|| MYR148 for 2 person room,
MYR 188 for 3 person room
|Palace Golden Horses||+60389464888||MYR300 per 2 person room||4KM http://g.co/maps/3nk4d||High end hotel, free internet|
The venue is also near the Bukit Jalil & Sri Petaling LRT station and we will be providing shuttle service to pick people up from/to the LRT stations.
Route from Bukit Jalil LRT to venue (2KM) : http://g.co/maps/t2ejs
Route from Sri Petaling LRT to venue (2KM) : http://g.co/maps/6t2p2
malaysia tourism (2KM): http://malaysia-tourism.weebly.com
Malaysia uses 240V UK power socket. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363
Remember to bring the correct adapter if you are coming from overseas.
 Internet around the City
You can find free wireless connection around the city at certain coffeeshops and restaurants. Some main ones which usually have wifi:
- Old Town White Coffee
You can also grab a 3G prepaid sim for internet, they are relatively cheap and should be decent enough for browsing the internet.
- Celcom: http://www.celcom.com.my/broadband/plans_daily_weekly.php
- Maxis: http://www.maxis.com.my/personal/broadband/wireless_daily.asp
- Digi: http://www.digi.com.my/internet/3g/pricing_payu.html
- U Mobile: http://www.u.com.my/u-broadband/mobile_broadband_plans
You will need to activate the daily plans before using, else you'll be charged by bytes which is very expensive. So make sure you follow the steps provided by the provider to activate. Usually the activation simply requires sending some SMS to a particular number.
Please add your name to the list if you will attend. Registration is FREE and open to everyone. To keep cost predictable, t-shirt and swags are limited to early registrants/attendees. So register and attend early to avoid disappointment!!
Having a solid initial attendee count early would help us in securing better deals.
- Please add your name to the list if you will attend. Also, please indicate the following:
- Put an X in the $$$ column if you need funding to attend, and visit the FUDCon ticket tracker to make a funding request. We have a limited budget and will work hard to fund as many people as possible. We'll use these answers to help figure out budgeting for the event. We are making arrangements for attendees from other geographic regions to encourage specific initiatives such as future FUDCon events, but preference may otherwise be given to contributors in Asia Pacific.
- Put a V in the Vegetarian column if you would like vegetarian fare for any meals that we provide during the event. If you prefer vegan fare, please mark that column VV. We will do our best to make sure everyone is accommodated! Note: "Hell No" and similar statements are offensive to some and should not be included in this column.
- Put your T-shirt size in the Size column, so we can have an idea about what sizes to have available. Only Unisex (Mens Sizes will be ordered)
- If you want or need to share a room, mark yes in the "Roomshare?" column.
- Once you have a roommate, both of you should mark your roommate's name in the block as well.
- If you need a roommate, look for someone with just a yes in the column, and contact them via email. If you encounter any problems, let the organizers know.
- Use the Comments section for anything else you think organizers need to know, or to offer or ask for space or rides.
- Freebies is limited and on first come first serve basis
We have moved our registration system to here: http://fedora.my/events/fudconkl2012/register
 Attendees who are interested for tour around KL on 21st May 2012
FUDCon KL will be done in a mixed barcamp+traditional conference style. The 1st day (18th May) and the 3rd day (20th May) will be run in a barcamp format, while the 2nd day (19th May) will be run in a traditional conference format.
The conference day will be having multi-track talks, while the barcamp days would mainly be filled with workshops, discusions, and talks which does not make it for the conference day.
If you have something to share and talk about, please submit your talk or sessions here.
Day 2 - Normal conference style event
|Infra & Cloud||Software Development||Community & General|
|10:00 - 11:00||Keynote|
|11:00 - 12:00|
|12:00 - 13:00|
|13:00 - 14:00||Break|
|14:00 - 15:00|
|15:00 - 16:00|
|16:00 - 17:00||Keynote|
Day 1 / Day 3 - Barcamp Style Event. We have approximately 7 rooms that can be used for the barcamp.
|09:00 - 10:00||Speaker pitch|
|10:00 - 17:00||Barcamp starts|
We have moved our session list to http://fedora.my/events/fudconkl2012/sessions
To propose a session, go to http://fedora.my/events/fudconkl2012/propose
 Topics Wishlist
Wished someone to talk about something?, add them into a list down here for inspiration for contributors who want to give talks. No guarantee someone will pick it up, but its worth a try :)
- Cloud computing performance
- Creative Arts specifically Music and Graphic/Visual art
- FRAG FEST