Archive:PackagingDrafts/Font package naming (2009-01-13)
This proposal is a follow-up and replacement for the naming rules rejected by FPC on 2009-01-06. It is more invasive and will require more changes, but should produce more pleasant font package names.
Renaming of existing packages that fail this new rule will wait for the corresponding policy to be finalised, or for a specific FPC exception.
Fedora font packages are named [foundryname-]projectname[-fontfamilyname]-fonts, in lowercase.
- For Fedora purposes a “foundry” is an entity that publishes a set of fonts with consistent font QA rules. Thus a generic hosting service such as Sourceforge is not a foundry, but the Open Font Library is.
- It is good practice to contract foundryname- in a short prefix.
- The foundryname- prefix can optionally be skipped:
- for entities that never released more than one font family, or
- when the font project and the publishing entity are one and the same.
- If projectname or foundryname are repeated in fontfamilyname, they can be dropped from fontfamilyname.
- When foundryname, projectname or fontfamilyname contain the font or fonts affix, this affix should be dropped from them.
- -fontfamilyname should not be included in the srpm name of a package that includes several different font families.
- If any element of the naming contains spaces, they should be replaced by “-”.
- The use of the -fonts suffix is not dependant on the actual number of font files in the package.
When in doubt, ask the mailing list for clarification.
|Source package (src.rpm)||Binary (sub)package||Description|
|apanov-heuristica-fonts||apanov-heuristica-fonts||“Heuristica” font family published by Andrey Panov, “apanov”.|
|sil-abyssinica-fonts||sil-abyssinica-fonts||“Abyssinica SIL” font family published by the “SIL” foundry.|
|oflb-brett-fonts||oflb-brett-fonts||“BrettFont” font family published on the “Open Font Library”, “oflb” foundry.|
||The three “DejaVu” font families self-published by the “DejaVu” project.|
|dejavu-fonts-common||Utility subpackage with no font files inside.|
||The three “Droid” font families published by “Google”, as part of its “Droid” release.|
|google-droid-fonts-common||Utility subpackage with no font files inside.|
||“UN Core” fonts published by the “UN” project.|
|un-core-fonts-common||Utility subpackage with no font files inside.|
|openoffice.org||openoffice.org-opensymbol-fonts||The “OpenSymbol” font family published as part of “openoffice.org”.|
||“CM LGC” font families published by the “CTAN” foundry.|
|ctan-cm-lgc-fonts-common||Utility subpackage with no font files inside.|
TEX overlay for ctan-cm-lgc fonts (cooked up example, this page is not a TEX naming guideline)
- Simple, but sadly not available in each and every Fedora release.
- Type <CTRL> + <SHIFT> + <F> to open the font metadata window in fontforge.
- To avoid foofont-fonts packages.