Proposed by MairinDuffy
Slogan could be: "Fedora: Infinite Boundaries"
Freedom, community, and infinity are the three basic concepts that are represented in the Fedora logo. The basic concept for this theme is that Fedora, as the leading Linux distro, is always pushing the boundaries of technology. Because we're always pushing forward, we're always glimpsing into the infinite.
This theme should visually depict the dizzying potential of pushing forward into the unknown.
Round 3 Final Artwork
Final Theme Artwork Files
Round 3 Scratchwork
This page is getting crowded, so i'm starting a page just for round 3 scratchwork!
Round 2 Scratchwork
NicuBuculei: here is the sketch of an experiment I did - take the "infinite structure" image, strip it of all details and leave only the metaphor and a few gradients of light and shadow, in the spirit of simplicity we talked about in other designs.
- I like it, it is very smooth (gradients, blur and all). I also like your selection of colors
- Maybe the center of interest may be moved a little? The rule of thirds...
- One thing I am still thinking of is if I like better the SVG with the center of interest on the left or the PNG, which is mirrored to have it on the right (one draw my focus and the other not)
- On a negative tone, I had to think a few seconds before understanding what the shapes represent (a structure)
NicuBuculei: the same stylization for the palm trees (again, just a sketch, if we find it interesting, it can pe expanded later)
File:Artwork F8Themes Infinity palm trees n.svg SVG source]
Update: the palm trees may look in something like this:
File:Artwork F8Themes Infinity palmdetailn.svg SVG source]
Back to the bridge one... trying the rule of thirds for where the two structures meet, adding some stars so they stand out as structures...
1024x768 wallpaper to try] File:Artwork F8Themes Infinity bridge with stars m.svg SVG source]
Nicu's comment: I like it better without the stars, the stark IMO make it too busy and don't add to the metaphor (infinite structure). I tried an absolute minor modification: no stars, increased the background gradient and moved the objects a bit:
Misc. stuff I tried...
File:Artwork F8Themes Infinity manybridges1.svg SVG source]
Nicu: I like this, IMO it look surpringly well
Nicu again: I have something for transparency, with the buildings going out of the frame (this example is a bit exaggerated and not with the best perspective, but this computer has a problem dealing with the huge performance hit from that level of blur use in Inkscape):
The visual elements can also go against transparent backgrounds:
Update: after upload, I think I can remove one of the elements and leave only the left one, maybe with the perspective changed a little.
Visual Concepts Round 1
Something architectural with a very extreme perspective could depict infinity. The haze/fog over vast stretches of ocean could also. Here are some examples from photos I have taken from a number of places:
Some other visual ideas
- fractals (xaos? others?)
- sine/cosine waves
- repetition / pattern
- vanishing point
- mirrors (within mirror witihn mirror)
- mist / fog / vanishing
- wide open spaces / desert / ocean / tundra
- cusp / ledge
- scale range - large to small
- reproduction / family tree / growing tree
- nature / the sublime / spiritual
Some Interesting 'Infinite' Images from Across the Web
- Temporal Paradox - Pat's Piks 
- Straight Time - snowdog101 
- Multiple Desktops - Pat's Piks 
- Look into Infinity - undernier 
- Pipe Dream - monitorpop 
- arches - *SG 
- Electric Blue - docandyhutch 
- 544 - *SG