This is the home for the Base working group, which is the team of people working on putting together the Fedora Base product.
The goal of Fedora Base is to provide a standard platform with common technologies, frameworks and APIs for all Fedora products.
What is Base
In order to achieve this goal these are the actual more direct points to highlight what we try to achieve:
- Definition of the Base product: Installer, compose tools, minimal install (for some definition there), and functionality the majority products want to use
- Based on feedback from other WGs, provide a API and/or ABI stability for a specific release rather than simply package versions/releases
- The experience for functionalities provided by Base are expected to be consistent between different Fedora products
- => Keep Base as small as possible while still providing functionality most of the products would use
- Release cycle and lifespan are still TBD and will be based on feedback by other WGs and their requirements (FESCO ticket)
What Base is NOT
A few things to clarify what we believe the Base Design should not be/do:
- Base is not a full product
- => No DVD images
- => Very limited comps (minimal and base currently)
- => Only provides a bare bones sytem when installed
- Other stuff... (TBD)
Meeting Frequency and Times
- The Base working group meets on a weekly basis in the #fedora-meeting channel (announced no later than 24 hours before a meeting on the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list with [Base] prefix.
- If there is no agenda posted to the mailing list within 24 hours before a meeting is set to start, the meeting is cancelled and the group leader / FESCo liaison will send out a cancellation notice to the mailing list.
- The Base working group meets every Friday at 15:00 UTC
- In the case where a voting member can not make a meeting where a vote is scheduled to happen, they can either pre-vote via the mailing list or abstain-by-default.
- During meetings, silence indicates consent. If people disagree, then that will bring it to a vote.
- After meetings, meeting minutes will be sent to both the email@example.com mailing list with [Base] prefix
Managing and Tracking Progress
- Working documents for the group will be stored here on the Fedora project wiki.
- Agenda items, decisions, and issues will also be stored here on the Fedora project wiki until which time the group decides it is not scalable and another tool would be more suitable.
- Governance Charter for Base Working Group - To be submitted
- Use Cases for Fedora Base
- Personas (target users) for Fedora Base
- Short-Term Goals and Long-Term Goals for Fedora Base
|Date||Agenda||Blog Summary||Mailing List Thread||Raw Logs|
|Friday, November 8, 2013||Governance discussion & draft (Proposal: Review other WGs governance drafts & create our own based on those)
Regular meeting times (stay with Friday 15:00 PM or move somewhere else?)
Base mailing list discussion (yes/no, pros/cons)
QE representation discussion (who, how, status, etc)
Role of Base Design group discussion -> Start of collecting ideas for Base Design. Proposal: Use wiki Maybe something like a mission statement first that relates to the idea that the Base Design is the platform for all other direct Fedora products (there can potentially be other separate products based on our original products or others consuming Base in the future)