Anaconda Support for Server Roles
The Fedora Server SIG will develop a plug-in for Anaconda to support the deployment of Fedora Server Roles in kickstart files.
- Name: Stephen Gallagher
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: <your email address so we can contact you, invite you to meetings, etc.>
- Release notes owner:
- Product: Fedora Server
- Responsible WG: Server WG
- Targeted release: Fedora 21
- Last updated: 2014-04-08
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Deploying Server Roles during installation will require a higher level of access to the installed system than %post can provide. The Fedora Server SIG will develop an Anaconda plug-in that will add kickstart directives to deploy available server roles.
Benefit to Fedora
This feature - as an add-on to the Fedora Server Role capabilities - will vastly simplify the setup of standard infrastructure components. As a result, it will become easier for administrators (both junior and senior) to rapidly deploy best-practice services for their networks.
We will need to develop an Anaconda plugin to process kickstart directives. A GUI spoke is an explicit non-goal for Fedora 21; it may be added in the future.
- Proposal owners:
Development work of the Anaconda plug-in.
- Other developers:
- This Change is contingent upon the Server Role Framework being implemented.
- Release engineering:
- It will be necessary to include this plug-in into the installer image.
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
This will be relevant only to new system installations.
How To Test
Tests will need to be written for the unattended installation of any supported Server Roles.
Such tests should be automatable by creating stock kickstart files and verifying that the post-install state is appropriate.
Users of kickstart will have new capabilities available to them for setting up best-practice infrastructure services.
- Contingency mechanism: Ship without kickstart support in Fedora 21 and defer to next release
- Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? Fedora Server (highly-desired, but not blocking)