Tooling changes to support the new way of branching for Fedora 27
- Name: Matt Prahl
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 27
- Last updated: 2017-05-04
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
To avoid maintaining multiple copies of this information, please read the Arbitrary Branching Focus Document (updated May 3rd, 2017) in the Factory2 space as a substitute for this document: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Factory2/Focus/ArbitraryBranching
For further information, view this section of Ralph Bean’s presentation at DevConf: https://youtu.be/5gqccjyjwFk?t=26m27s
Benefit to Fedora
See the “Background on PkgDB” and “Why Make This Change?” sections in the Arbitrary Branching Focus document linked above.
- Proposal owners: Ralph Bean (ralph/threebean) and Matt Prahl (mprahl)
- Other developers: Pierre-Yves Chibon (pingou) for some of the Pagure enhancements
- Release engineering: #6775
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: Packaging guidelines would change and would be updated after the changes are implemented in staging.
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Not backwards compatible but not significantly difficult to roll back because all changes will be done in Ansible.
How To Test
- Request new packages
- Request new branches with non-standard names (i.e. not f25, f26, etc.) and build with them
- Request new branches for standard names that are still supported (i.e. f25, f26, epel6, epel7) and build with them
- Retire a package
- Orphan a package
See the “How To Make This Change?” section in the Arbitrary Branching Focus document linked above.
- Pagure over dist-git will need to be updated in staging
- Pagure over dist-git will need to be deployed in production
- Contingency mechanism: Re-enable PkgDB and roll back our script changes in Ansible
- Contingency deadline: N/A
- Blocks release? Yes, it blocks Fedora 27 Modularity. They will be filing a Change document in the coming months to describe the F27 structure
- Blocks product? Fedora 27
Documentation on new processes would be provided at a later date if there is approval on this Change Proposal.