IBus 1.5.11 will have the features of XKB prefix language icons on the panel in KDE 5 and support $HOME/.XCompose file in all desktops.
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: tfujiwar [at] redhat [dot] com
- Release notes owner:
Plasma 5 (KDE) no longer support GtkStatusIcon and IBus provides the different icons between Plasma and other desktops. The current IBus shows a fixed IBus icon for any XKB layouts in Plasma desktop but IBus shows the XKB language prefix names on the icon in other desktops likes "EN" for "us" layout, "FR" for "fr" layout.
IBus 1.5.11 will show the prefix names on the icon in Plasma 5 too.
F22 Fedora is :
The current IBus supports the compose tables of en_US, fi_FI and pt_BR and only and have the hard-coded tables in itself. IBus 1.5.11 will load /usr/share/X11/locale/$LOCALE/Compose with the current session locale dynamically and also load $HOME/.XCompose file for the customization.
Benefit to Fedora
XKB prefix icons are useful to distinguish XKB layouts when users switch IBus XKB engines. Some users requeste to support .XCompose file.
- Proposal owners:
- Implement XKB prefix in IBus panel for Plasma 5.
- Implement to load compose tables in libibus.so
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
If any users don't wish to load .XCompose file, the file needs to be renamed.
How To Test
- Log into Plasma 5 desktop
- Run ibus-daemon with im-chooser
- Run ibus-setup and load some XKB layout engines
- Enable a XKB engine
- Log into fi_FI.UTF-8 locale in a desktop likes XFCE
- Run ibus-dameon with im-chooser
- Enable "fi" layout engine and fi_FI compose file is loaded
- Customize .XCompose file
- Restart ibus-daemon
(If you use GNOME desktop, you need to configure more than one input method likes ibus-libpinyin, ibus-m17n so that gnome-shell uses IBus XKB engines instead of gtk-im-context-simple.)
XKB prefix language names will be shown on the KDE panel. $HOME/.XCompose file can be used.
- Contingency mechanism: Just drop the features.
- Contingency deadline: N/A
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No