IBus 1.5.23 will replace the allowlist of XKB engines with the denylist of XKB ones.
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com
- Targeted release: Fedora 33
- Last updated: 2020-07-02
- FESCo issue: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
IBus currently provides the allowlist of XKB engines in
ibus-setup utility can show the XKB engines indicated in only that file in most desktops. (gnome-control-center shows XKB list from gnome-desktop3 in GNOME desktop instead.) The allowlist includes the limited XKB layouts and variants. E.g. 'gb(dvorak)' is included but 'gb' is not. And the allowlist has been supported to customize by sysadmin localy since the simple.xml is a simple text file and the default list has been updated upon the request.
IBus 1.5.23 will replace the allowlist with the denylist which includes the disabled XKB engines and
ibus-setup will shows all the XKB engines which are not indicated in that file. The denylist will includes 'cn' layout, 'cn' layout + any variants, 'nec_vndr/jp' layouts at the moment.
I.e. the change won't effect GNOME desktop.
Benefit to Fedora
The users don't have to request the desired XKB layouts and variants in IBus upstream and most XKB keymaps will be shown in ibus-setup.
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: #9563 (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
If a keymap is shown in ibus-setup in the previous version, it will be shown in the new one.
How To Test
- Log into XFCE desktop
- Run ibus-setup
It will show 'English (UK)' keymap by default.
If a user customize
/usr/share/ibus/component/simple.xml in the previous version, the file will be replaced with new one.
The change effects XKB engines only but does not input method engines (E.g. libpinyin, hangul, and so on.)
- Contingency mechanism: Drop the feature in Fedora 33 and postpone it to Fedora 34
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No