IBus Unicode Typing
IBus core provides an Emoji dialog which users can type emoji annotations and output the emoji character using IBus (E.g. Typing "football" shows U+26BD). The proposal is the dialog also supports to type Unicode names (E.g. Typing "copyright sign" shows U+00A9).
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 28
- Last updated: 2018-01-09
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
IBus core provides an Emoji dialog and it can be launched with Ctrl-Shift-e shortcut key in non-GNOME desktop and
ibus emoji command is available for GNOME desktop . Users can select an emoji in emoji lists on the emoji dialog or type an emoji annotation in an input entry on the emoji dialog and output the selected emoji using IBus.
The proposal is that emoji dialog also supports to type Unicode names in the input entry and output the selected Unicode character.
E.g. Typing "copyright sign" shows U+00A9
 because gnome-shell has its owned keyboard indicator instead of /usr/libexec/ibus-ui-gtk3 and GTK itself also has the similar emoji dialog and the emoji implementation is under the consideration in GNOME.
Benefit to Fedora
Users can type either emoji annotation or Unicode names on the same dialog.
- Proposal owners:
IBus core will include the dictionary of Unicode names
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7255
- List of deliverables: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A
Users don't have to type Unicode names on the emoji dialog if they don't need the feature.
How To Test
- Make sure ibus-daemon is running
- Launch emoji dialog
- Type "copyright sign"
- Press Enter key on the selected Unicode character
- Output the selected character
The dialog supports emoji annotations, unicode names and code points.
The dialog can output characters to GTK, X11 and QT applications.
Users can launch the dialog with Ctrl-Shift-e and type Unicode names and output the characters without using mouse likes CLI and also launch the dialog with mouse click on ibus panel menu and select one character using mouse.
- Contingency mechanism: Drop the feature in Fedora 28 and postpone it to Fedora 29
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No