Langpacks-core for i18n functionality
langpacks-core-* subpackages to
langpacks for easier installation of minimal core i18n support for a language
(locale, default font, and any default input-method if needed).
- Name: Jens Petersen
- Email: email@example.com
- Name: Parag Nemade
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name: Mike Fabian
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 31
- Last updated: 2019-07-03
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
In Fedora 30 we replaced the remaining Yum language-support groups in Comps by extending the
langpacks meta packages to handle the installation of fonts (and input-methods) required for a language, in addition to locale and translation package weak dependencies.
However this all or nothing approach can be too heavy for some use cases, since the old language-support groups did not pull in translation langpacks.
With this Change we want to refine the approach to allow finer-grained installation of language support.
So users who only want basic support installed for a language (without translation langpacks and additional fonts for example)
langpacks-core-XY to get just the default font, locale(s) and a weak dependency for any default input method.
Note: in this proposal
XY stands just for the ISO language code (eg
es for Spanish).
Users who want general default Fedora international support should continue to install
glibc-all-langpacks (as they are already in Fedora Workstation, etc).
Later we may consider whether to separate the input methods into separate meta langpacks subpackages.
Benefit to Fedora
This allows more flexibility for users who want to do custom installations/Spins, or starting from minimal images/installs. They will be able to add basic i18n support for one or more specific language in a predictable standard way without pulling in additional langpacks for translations and extra fonts which may not be required for each added languages.
Users wanting full support for a language can continue to install the
langpacks-XY package for their language.
- Proposal owners:
langpacks-core-*subpackages to langpacks for core i18n functionality:
- default font
- glibc locale
- weak dependency on ibus IME if needed
- Other langpacks weak deps and additional fonts will remain in
- glibc locales subpackages weak dependencies will be updated to depend on
- Other developers: No other changes should be needed - current package translation langpacks will continue to depend on
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- Policies and guidelines: No major changes here
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
No impact - the design is fully backwards compatible:
langpacks-XY will pull in the new
How To Test
- dnf list langpacks-*
- dnf install langpacks-core-XY
- dnf install langpacks-XY
Fedora users will have more flexibility with installation of i18n support packages and langpacks.
glibc.spec needs to be updated with
langpacks has implemented
No other packages should be directly affected by the current proposal.
- Contingency mechanism: Proposal owners will revert to F30
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? N/A
No additional documentation at this stage.