Liberation Fonts 2
Upgrading Liberation fonts in Fedora to Liberation 2.00.3 version. Presently we are having Liberation fonts 1.07.4. Both version has its advantages and disadvantages. Users interested in using Liberation 1.07.5 can install it from Copr repo.
- Name: Pravin Satpute, Parag Nemade, Vishal Vijayraghavan
- Email: psatpute AT redhat DOT com, pnemade AT redhat DOT com, vvijayra AT redhat DOT com
- Release notes owner:
Liberation 1.07.4: This is traditional version for Liberation fonts.
- It has bytecode hinting instructions and works very well.
- In uses from long time.
- Not good Unicode character coverage.
- License: Liberation
- Wide character coverage.
- Latest Version - Older Version
- 2302 (sans) - 667
- 2274 (mono) - 666
- 2303 (serif) - 662
- License: OFL
- Not bytecode hinting instructions.
Over the period many users suggested for upgrade. We had discussion on fedora devel lists and also in fedora i18n meeting about same.
With this change planning to upgrade Fedora version to 2.00.3 and provide Copr repo for 1.07.5
TODO List: 1. Update Liberation 2.00.3 in Fedora (Done) 2. Split Liberation Narrow fonts from Liberation 1.07.4. (Done) 3. Package Liberation-narrow-fonts in Fedora (Ongoing) 4. Build Liberation 1.07.5 in copr.
Benefit to Fedora
Liberation 2.00.3 has wider character coverage and automated hinting instructions. User interested in liberation 1.07.4 can install it from copr repo.
- Proposal owners:
- Presently liberation upstream has both version in single repo (in different branch). Upstream project splitting required. [Done]
- Update Liberation 2.00.3 in Fedora (Done)
- Split Liberation Narrow fonts from Liberation 1.07.5. (Done)
- Package Liberation-narrow-fonts in Fedora (Ongoing)
- Build Liberation 1.07.4 in copr.
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Liberation 1.07.4 will be updated to Liberation 2.00.3
- User interested in Liberation 1.07.4 need to install it from Copr
Upgrade will be smooth.
How To Test
- Check whether Liberation Fonts
2.00.3has been installed or not.
$ rpm -qa | grep liberation
- Test Liberation fonts in LibreOffice
- Try to install Liberation 1.07.5 and see if users can use it properly.
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
- Blocks product? product
- Drop the change and move to next release.
Not at this moment, planning to update github.